Fishy_Dan - December 2020 Tank of the Month Winner (16 gallons and smaller)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We have a winner in Fishforums.net
December 2020
Tank of the Month Contest

We had 4 awesome tanks entered in this month's TOTM contest featuring tanks sized at 16 US gallons and smaller. But only one could win...

And the winner is.......
:band:
:hooray:
Fishy_Dan
Let's all congratulate him
:drinks:
Here's the winning tank and its description
tank-jpg.123712

Tank details:
Ciano aqua 60 - 58 litre 60x30x30cm tank. Set up using a silent cycle method with lots of plants. Running for two months now and fully stocked for about 3/4 weeks.
6500K stock LED light - 900lm. On 8 hours a day (4 on, 5 off, 4 on) dimmed at 80%
Eheim aquaball 130 internal filter
Argos play sand plus root tabs
Azalea root

Flora/Fauna:
Crypts, echinodorus reni, lagenandra meeboldii red, hygrophila siamensis 53b, java fern, limnophila sessiliflora, anubias barteri var. nana, salvinia.
4 x Yellow honey gourami (1 x male - named Blue)
10 x Glowlight rasboras
5 x Amano shrimp

Parameters/schedule:
As a silent cycle I never added amonia to this tank. Tap water comes out at 20-30ppm nitrate, which I think the plants love as I don't add any fertilisers and the growth has been amazing! I thow away handfuls of salvinia with every water change to stop it completely covering the surface.
I was a little worried when I started adding the fish, never having done a silent cycle before, but I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite!
Ph 7.4, GH 16
At first I was doing 50% water changes every three or four days to combat early tank algae. Now I do 60% every 5/6 days.

Feeding:
Once daily. Flake twice a week. Micro pellets twice a week. Bloodworm/Mosquito larve twice a week. Defrosted peas once a week.

I have really enjoyed setting up this tank, my first for 10 years, and love to look at it during the day as a break from work. I hope you like it too!

Last edited:
Congrats go out to Fishy_Dan on winning TOTM with your 58 litre nicely planted and arranged tank.
Coming in a strong second place is LittleBlueGuppy with her 10 gallon Walstad planted tank. Congrats to you!
Coming in third place is xxamyxx85 with her 30 litre Betta tank. Congrats!

Thanks go out to everyone who participated and / or voted in the TOTM contest.

We are now accepting entries for our Fish of the Month contest. This is your chance to show off one of your fish. Click on the following link to check out the contest and to enter your fish.

Last edited:
Congrats! Love the colourful scape :D it really fits your lovely honey trio there

@Fishy_Dan your tank is amazing! I can't get over how much it's come in 2 months. Phenomenal plant growth! Congratulations.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad people like the tank, I'm really delighted with how it has filled out in such a small space of time. Who says you can't do a planted silent cycle with low light and no ferts!?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back