Eheim, Fluval Or Tetratec External Filter

The Tetratec range comes with Ceramics, Bio Balls, Sponges, Carbon and Floss, everything you need in the box, not that you really need the Carbon or Floss, I'd just remove these, you'll get a little more flow out of it then.

Trust me James, the 1200's ARE jam packed!!! There is no room at all for anymore media at all. I had to take someout of my first one which had slightly different media in compared to the two newest ones. I bought that one used though so maybe the previous owner swapped some?!

Little tip... make sure you go through the media and undo the bag of ceramic rings in the bottom compartment and undo the two bags of carbon too. Also make sure you rinse the carbon quickly under the tap first as it there is alot of dust in them which will pollute your tank water.

The seals should already be greased from the factory, but double check and if not, make sure you do it yourself. :good:

i will check the seals when it comes, will i just smear some vaseline on them if they are dry? what seals is it that i need to check. how often should i be changing the media in the tank, i know with the sponges you just give them a wash and then replace them when they are out of shape or damaged, but with the bio balls and ceramic rings do you change them every 3-4 months or can you see them waring away.
cant wait for all the gear to come :) ordered my lights and substate today aswell

TT externals are fab,i have 3 of them,one being a 1200 :good:

Has said lots of media,the bottom tray is ceramic rings and a sponge,next one is i think is 2 more sponges,then bio balls,last & top basket holds another sponge,carbon bag & the filter floss.
All the media incl the balls/rings/sponges only needs a rinse in used tank water once its cycled.they will last for years,the first 2 will last for ever in theory,so dont ever change them :)

Just remember to rinse all media in warm water on set up,i'd leave out the carbon bag,not really necessary,and you may find it useful to add it later for removing meds or tannins from the tank in the future :good:

Media will be fine for a very long time. The only thing that may need changing every couple of months is the filter floss at the top, but tbh, mine is surving just being rinsed. The ceramic rings are different and seem to have a smooth finish on them so they're easier to wash.

Check all seals. Check the o ring around the motor head, the seals on the hose adaptor and the seals on the intakes into the motor head. They will already be done I'm sure, but if not use some vaseline.

Never had any trouble with any of mine that have used vaseline.

They will be ready greased anyway :good:

TT externals are fab,i have 3 of them,one being a 1200 :good:

Has said lots of media,the bottom tray is ceramic rings and a sponge,next one is i think is 2 more sponges,then bio balls,last & top basket holds another sponge,carbon bag & the filter floss.
All the media incl the balls/rings/sponges only needs a rinse in used tank water once its cycled.they will last for years,the first 2 will last for ever in theory,so dont ever change them :)

Just remember to rinse all media in warm water on set up,i'd leave out the carbon bag,not really necessary,and you may find it useful to add it later for removing meds or tannins from the tank in the future :good:

thanks for that, i take it it starts of with a large sponge and then gets to finer mesh sponges as it goes along to filter all the bits out?

Nope. Ceramic, sponge, plastic balls, 2 sponges then a sponge, carbon bags then filter floss.

Just tested my 1200 mate, got 864lph with the media in place.

Here is how the media goes

xEXflow.gif.pagespeed.ic.A1VTmjzGCB.png

cheers for that mate, that shows it well. tank is being collected today, lights,substrate and filter should be here today or tommorow :) man im excited.

TT EX1200 is a superb filter. Like others have said, built well, runs well, good output and very quiet. Mine is in a cupboard under the tank and you have to put your hand on it to feel it working, it's that quiet.

One thing I can find fault with though was the stupid plastic plug on the end of the spraybar, which kept coming off due to the flow. In the end I got sick of fishing it out the tank so left it and now it's gone missing under the gravel somwehere :hyper:

I know some people silicone them in place, so it might be worth you doing that before you prime yours mate :good:

any of you know were i can get a sponge filter type thing to slip over the inlet to stop any bigger bits going into the filter? i will clean it regularly and it it should increase the filter service time

Use a pair of tights mate, sponge will restrict the flow too much and could cause damage to the motor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back