Eggs again

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
My eba have laid eggs again they are doing this every 14 days now , I donā€™t have two tanks , my current tank is 500l so daily water changes to control hormone spikes is not a reasonable option , leaving them in my tank is not an option as it is home to 6 eba an Oscar and a pleco , iv saw and heard storyā€™s of makeshift pop bottle breeding tanks with an air stone in the bottle , does anybody do it this way ? I have a 20l water cooler jug I use for small water changes and gravel vac , I do have a spare heater and air pump but I have no spare cycled filter , is beneficial bacteria really required if I change the water daily ?

My eba have laid eggs again they are doing this every 14 days now , I donā€™t have two tanks , my current tank is 500l so daily water changes to control hormone spikes is not a reasonable option , leaving them in my tank is not an option as it is home to 6 eba an Oscar and a pleco , iv saw and heard storyā€™s of makeshift pop bottle breeding tanks with an air stone in the bottle , does anybody do it this way ? I have a 20l water cooler jug I use for small water changes and gravel vac , I do have a spare heater and air pump but I have no spare cycled filter , is beneficial bacteria really required if I change the water daily ?
You can buy a big storage tub for like 20 bucks and turn it into a temporary breeding tank. @NCaquatics has one for corydoras, obviously yours would have to be a lot bigger.

I'd be more inclined to try to make a grow out tank out of a new storage box, like this;
storagebox.jpg

Get a heater with a heater guard so it doesn't melt the plastic, a sponge filter that you could seed from your current filter media, and daily water changes. But larger, more water volume, more stable and more space if you have a lot of fry.

I see @HoldenOn had the same thought, lol.

I'd be more inclined to try to make a grow out tank out of a new storage box, like this;
View attachment 117193

Get a heater with a heater guard so it doesn't melt the plastic, a sponge filter that you could seed from your current filter media, and daily water changes. But larger, more water volume, more stable and more space if you have a lot of fry.

I see @HoldenOn had the same thought, lol.
I did buy a breeding box but it has holes in so the water is still the same just safe girded from the rest of my tank so itā€™s useless lol if I did put them in a container of some sort without a filter would this be ok with daily water changes

I did buy a breeding box but it has holes in so the water is still the same just safe girded from the rest of my tank so itā€™s useless lol if I did put them in a container of some sort without a filter would this be ok with daily water changes
Yea, if it was big enough and cycled you could even go a day or two between the changes.
Edit: spelling

Yea, if it was big enough and cycled you could even go a day or two between the changes.
I have nothing cycled just main tank and filter , could I take a fair amount of my wood and plants out of the main tank into the container and keep enough bb ? And how big of a container would you think Iā€™d need 20l?

I have nothing cycled just main tank and filter , could I take a fair amount of my wood and plants out of the main tank into the container and keep enough bb ? And how big of a container would you think Iā€™d need 20l?
I don't know liters but like 55 gallons would be suitable for 2 EBA.

I don't know liters but like 55 gallons would be suitable for 2 EBA.
I wouldnā€™t be moving the mom and dad just the fry

Oh. Then maybe a 30 gallon.
Edit: How mature are they?
They havenā€™t had the fry yet she has just laid eggs again so I expect swimmers in the next 4 days ish , this is her second batch in a month the first batch was successful sprisingly for her first batch she had a lot of fry come through but I didnā€™t move them I just left her to it and they didnā€™t make it , but my pair seem like they are going to be prolific breeders from what iv read they lay ever 2-3 weeks and itā€™s been exactly 14 days since her last batch

They havenā€™t had the fry yet she has just laid eggs again so I expect swimmers in the next 4 days ish , this is her second batch in a month the first batch was successful sprisingly for her first batch she had a lot of fry come through but I didnā€™t move them I just left her to it and they didnā€™t make it , but my pair seem like they are going to be prolific breeders from what iv read they lay ever 2-3 weeks and itā€™s been exactly 14 days since her last batch
Yea a 10 liter might work, for a very small period of time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back