Eco-complete Plant Substrate

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

some sand is pretty much like shattered glass, im pretty sure tahtian moon sand is one of those. And im also pretty sure they say not to have bottom dwellers with it..... Just feel it in the bag, if it seems sharp or not smooth it might not be the best for cories.

I havent heard that. Ive heard of a lot of people using it though. Thanks for letting me know.

Try Hagen Black River Sand?

I havent heard of that brand either. I was able to find some at the LFS yesterday that was just like all the sand I use, but was black. Im going to get the Eco Complete and see what it looks like and decide if I need the sand.

Can someone suggest how thick I should make the substrate? I thought about sloping it from back to front, with it being the thickest in the back of the tank.

Is it me or is all sand theoretically shattered glass?

If you get any sand on a magnetic scraper it can scratch it!!

I've never heard of any sand that can't be used with bottom dwellers!

Maybe I've learnt something new but I don't think so.

Andy

Is it me or is all sand theoretically shattered glass?If you get any sand on a magnetic scraper it can scratch it!!I've never heard of any sand that can't be used with bottom dwellers!Maybe I've learnt something new but I don't think so.Andy
You are probably thinking of sand used for sand blasting, which is not used for sand substrates. I have been keeping cories on sand for about 2 years now. Im not sure where you are coming from, because in nature a lot of river and lake bottoms are made up of sand, dirt and small gravel, especially in the areas where cories live.

What I was implying was that glass is made from sand.

I would think all sand as long as it has no additives should be OK for a substrate.

I have 4 pitbull plecs that burrow and sift through mine and now 2 bolivian rams which apparently like to dig.

The plecs have never been a problem and can regularly be seen 'breathing' sand

andy

What I was implying was that glass is made from sand.

I would think all sand as long as it has no additives should be OK for a substrate.

I have 4 pitbull plecs that burrow and sift through mine and now 2 bolivian rams which apparently like to dig.

The plecs have never been a problem and can regularly be seen 'breathing' sand

andy

not including calcium carbonate sand......

Anyway i said some sand is pretty much LIKE (not is) shattered glass, sandblasting was the word i was looking for

I use home depot play sand and my cories love it as well as my kribs

Most reactions

Back