Eco-complete Plant Substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barracuda518

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked several times about Eco-Complete, but I dont know much about it and I need to get some ASAP. Can I put sand on top of if? I dont want to use gravel unless I have to because the fish in the tank will be 90% Corydoras.

Im going for an easy planted tank without CO2 this time because it is my first attempt at a planted tank. How thick do I need to apply the Eco-Complete and then the sand on top (if I can put sand on top)?

If Eco-Complete is not the best substrate, then does anyone have some suggestions of which kind to use?

Thanks for the help in advance :good:

From those plants, none are actually going to be in the substrate as they are all plants to tie to wood/rock. As Musho said, don't bother with the Eco. I would however consider a pack of quality root tabs if you decide to plant something in the substrate later on :)

On a side note, Eco can be toped by sand but I think it tends to mix after a while. Eco is designed to be a lone substrate and it looks fine when its it :)

The plan is to get plants that root later on. I dont want to have to change the substrate at that point, which is why I wanted to go ahead and put the Eco Substrate in the tank.

The plan is to get plants that root later on. I dont want to have to change the substrate at that point, which is why I wanted to go ahead and put the Eco Substrate in the tank.
I started with sand then changed to eco complete and I will never use sand again. Imho sand just makes a mess.

i have had success with many rooting plants in my tank in regular inert sand and flourish root tabs. Only thing that wont grow is amazon sword, BUT its not dying either. I have some info and pics posted up here, see for yourself.

I always use sand now. It looks good and is more natural for the fish especially if you have fish that like to burrow or sift.

Mine doesn't get messy but then I don't move plants very often which is the main cause of mixing substrates.

I would suggest getting a decent substrate under the sand so that it is there when you need it.

My latest substrate consists of Leonardite topped with Tropica Substrate then silver sand (sterilised play sand) on top.

The tropica is the same colour as the sand so blends in well and if you are a mover of plants then it won't matter if it mixes.

The Leonardite is not a compulsory need but it was cheap and it can be useful so I got it.

Pics in the 'under the forest canopy journal' (link in signature)...I know cheap plug but it may help

Andy

cories love it as well as my kribensis pair (stupid things arent breeding....)

i have had success with many rooting plants in my tank in regular inert sand and flourish root tabs. Only thing that wont grow is amazon sword, BUT its not dying either. I have some info and pics posted up here, see for yourself.

My Sword (Not sure which type but it's like 30cm tall), grew in pea gravel 0.9 WPG no ferts, grew really big.

Thanks for the help everyone :good:

My plan was to get some of the Eco Complete and just add a layer of black sand on top. If they blend, it wont be that hard to tell. I know whats going to happen. Im going to get this tank planted and all the Brochis are going to dig them up anyways :rolleyes: From what I was told, the Brochis are in the 3-4" range :blink:

well make sure the black sand is apropriate for corys

Why would black sand not be appropriate for cories? The only thing that really matters is that the sand is not course or sharp and that the particles are not too big :good:

If i did get the black sand, it would be the Carib Sea Black Tahitian Moon sand.

some sand is pretty much like shattered glass, im pretty sure tahtian moon sand is one of those. And im also pretty sure they say not to have bottom dwellers with it..... Just feel it in the bag, if it seems sharp or not smooth it might not be the best for cories.

Most reactions

trending

Back