Easy To Keep Sps Corals For A Beginner?

1entra

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys I've had good success with keeping LPS and softys in my tank was looking to move onto LPS. I want commonly available corals that are colourful and easy to keep for a beginner in a 30G tank. Any recommendations...

My Organ Pipe is doing well for me. Taxanomically though, it's a softie, but it still grows it's own skelaton with little polyps, so to us hobbyists, it is more like an SPS :good: One thing to note though is that they are supposed to be fairly difficult, and mine's only happy directly (6") under my 150W metal halide, being blasted by two 2500lph pumps... With powerful light and flow, it may be worth a try, but otherwise I'd look at other options :good:

Best starter SPS by far would be Acropora Millepora, Pocillipora, Stylophora, and Montipora Capricornis :)

thanks guys. i will be running a MH 150w over the tank so hopefully should be enough light. do SPS like a lot of flow? and also are gorgonians hard to keep? i would like a colourful one bt only if they are photosythetic...

Gorgonias are filter feeders and many consider them hard to keep. SPS seem to do best with "above adverage" flow, about 30X an hour minimum...

Even the photosynthetic gorgs are tough to keep. And they're not as colourful as their non-photosynthetic counterparts.

Most reactions

Back