earthworms that don't get eaten

tdnp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:( I've been feeding my two polypterus' on earthworms and lance fish, but sometimes I've noticed that one or more of the worms quickly bury themselves and then I don't know if they get eaten later on and if they don't will they harm my tank? :/

Have you tried killing them before putting them in? I just cut mine in half. This doesn't stop movement just stops them from thinking. It is definatly a good idea to put the worms in moist peat for about 2 days before putting them in, as it cleans them out. I don't know about worms that survive to the substrate mess up the water, but I would assume they can't really survive in water. If I'm wrong please correct me, as I have been wondering this as well.

I too would have thought worms would drown but I have found otherwise!! When feeding baby worms to my fish (ideal for rapid growth) i would find a day or two later worms in the substrate, they did not seem to do anyharm and seemed as active as ever, I think worms are usually covered by a layer of moisture and so I would imagine that the oxygen can perhaps diffuse straight into their skin. I always netted out any I found, just because I did not like the idea of worms crawling in the tank :)

:D Thanks for them ideas I think I'll try cutting them in half. I think worms can survive for a while in water because they don't breath as we do (don't quote me on this!) when worms are in the ground in a hole ther will be oxygen in them holes and as the worm moves forward it squashes the oxygen between himself and the outer wall of the hole thus pushing the oxygen into his skin or that was what Icould make out of a Earthworm site I looked at last night. With ref to keeping the worms in some peat to clean them, I buy mine from a fishing tackle shop who has his own worm thinky :thumbs:

I've just fed them and I chop the worms in half they did riggle alot more but one still managed to bury himself any more ideas?

why dont you just kill them and then feed them to ur fish like with hot water thats what i do

:D :D Cheers fish503 that seemed to of worked except my Green Terror now seems to have taken a liking to worms I can see a fight comin on

earhtworms! hope they not named Jim! lol anyhow most of the earthworm liking fish i see and know tend to have a bare bottom tank! not that i do much looking for them mind you. Stingrays love em! always see them in the tanks when i go round the lfs. always try a feeder if u can get one the same size as the worm ( the holes that is) might be worth a gander! good luck with the problem

Worms do breathe through their skin so they will suffocate if they dry out. They can also drown. Go out after an extremely heavy rain. Often you will see dead worms in areas that are flooded. I think the oxygen content is much higher in aquarium water than there is in standing water after a rain.

When I fed worms to my fish I used an 18" piece of thin wire. Make a very small bend at the end of the wire and hook a worm on it. Lower it into the tank and "go fishing". You can make sure that even your most timid fish will get some too. I had a fish that always stayed in his cave but would always come to the opening when I presented him with his treat. You can be sure that no worms are left behind to possibly burrow in and die later.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back