FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emma580

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am really worried about one of my tanks! 

In the last week I've had 3 harlequins die. the first two showed no symptoms but the last one had a white fuzz on its face/side of body. 
That one only died yesterday so I havent had time to get out and get any meds yet, I've been adding a low dose of salt to the whole tank.

the water params are ph:7.0 amm: 0 nitrites: 0 nitrate:5ppm and water is around 24 C

It's had all the same fish in it for about 7 months when I added the 4 platy fry. Everyone else (the harlies and some neons) have been in there for nearly 2 years.

What can I do to help and stop anymore poor fish from dying?
Thanks in advance!

harlequins live for around 3-4 years. Is it possible they are dying of old age?

I'm losing my harlequins one by one now but I've had them 3 years and they were full grown when I got them and so I've put it down to old age. I've noticed that first they stop eating and then lose colour and finally lose weight and condition and then die. This process seems to take 10-14 days. I'm told this the normal process for aging harlequins. Does this sound familiar?

A white fuzz could be cotton mouth or some other kind of fungus but if not all of them have died from the same thing then I'd be looking at possible old age or a water problem

Okay I didn't realise they only lived that long, that might explain it then...just scary losing 3 in such a short space of time! but yeah would explain why the neons and platy fry have been fine all along.

I could be wrong - but it is suspicious that the rest of your stock are okay. If all your stock were dropping like flies too then I'd be looking for a solution but as it's just your harlequins then I doubt it's an illness.

Fry are usually the first to fall if there is a problem as they arn't as strong as adult fish. I think, for now, just monitor things. If you see any of your other fish developing something that doesn't look right then start looking at a possible disease within the tank :)

How old are harlequins?

Does the fuzz look like cotton wool.
Any red or pink patches inside, or around the outside of the patches?
Any excess slime on gills, body, or fins?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back