Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Personally, I don't know why people would buy dyed fish. :dunno:

IMHO, most of them aren't even pretty; they're gaudy and tacky looking. Real beauty can be found in nature and in the colors of real fish. For example, look at this picture of this poor dyed cory:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...rydora/51_5.php

What's attractive about that? Compare it to this C. sterbai with its neon orange fins:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/r...ras_sterbai.htm

Or the pink and black C. melanistius:

http://www.corydoras.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...nistius_htm.htm

None of these fish are hard to come by in lfs, or by mail. So, why buy phony looking fish?

Ok I need to clear up something. I have glowlight danios and everyone always goes, "why do you have dyed fish!?!" But Glowlight danios are a natural danio, Danio choprae. It's Glowfish that are the genetically engineered fish. So when people say they have "glowlight danios" it doesn't necessarly mean they are dyed. :thumbs:

See.. ohhhh ahhhhh ooohhhh :rolleyes:
orange.jpg

SILVER: Wow! That was also a great article-very informative. It's great how you added pictures in too...now newbie's etc. can actually see what these fish look like instead of trying to remember a name. :clap:

Hi silver :)

IMHO, this thread is as important and accurate now as when you started it.

I can't help feeling sorry for the person who had just set up a tank and then found out about the pitiful fish he had bought. :-( What a sad way to get started in our wonderful hobby. :/

Hmm. I actually own the sunset gouramis with the blue dorsal. I didn't know it was dyed at the time. But fortunately mine are very healthy and my LFS hasn't brought anymore back in since then.

one of my lfs sells painted glass fish, i thought they were odd though because they arent colored. do they come like.

what about head and tail lights, i saw them at that store, they arer kinda nice, they have little ares on the fins that are brightly colored, just not sure if they r dyed tough.

Perhaps both topics can be merged together and then pinned :) They're both very useful and it would be a shame for them to get lost in the shuffle.

About 6 months ago, we purchased 2 "parrot fish" they were the prettiest blue & green...after a few weeks, both turned yellow, we couldn't figure out why...when speaking with the petstore we purchased them from, they said it was the "incorrect diet" we spoke with another petstore only a few weeks ago to learn that they had been dyed! I think this is a VERY good post in letting people know about this subject!!

Thanks!!

Jess

opcn said:
Middle things first (lol) they dont dye zebra danios that often (most Zebra danios have a symbiotic relationship with certain bacteria that make up the dark blue stripes on there sides covering dyes in the deeper body tissues) Glolight tetras are real fish (from nature not man made in any way) there are "glofish" which are GE danios (my avitar is one) and they are the closest thing to a dyed danio I have ever seen. But they not put throught the dyeing process and there ancestors where the only ones made in a lab so the fish you buy are not victims of the nasty dyeing process there lives are no different than that of normal danios and danios already have been bred into a number of color strains they come in there Natural Light Grey, Gold, Pink, Blue, Yellow, and Albino (w/o the blue bacteria that is) all of which (except the albinos) have the dark blue stripes and all of which can be present in albinos (no dark stripes) and in long fin or lyer tail varieties. Sorry to hijack like that but they don't dye danios that often.
I think that I have seen dyed danios:

One of my LFS's has fish that look like zebra danios but have orange bodies, the color orange that an oscar can have. The tails are the standard zebra color. They actually look dyed to me. I was very sad to see that, as I won't shop there anymore.

Of course, I would be thrilled if I could find Glofish anywhere, but that is a different matter.

does anyone know whether "purple and black harlequin rasboras" are dyed or just a natural colour variation?

Head and tail light tetras are a natural fish WRS.

And un-painted glass fish are just galled glassfish or x-ray tetras.

Colored Fighters N/A Betta, Betta splendens Injected and Dipped Purple, Black, White, Green, Yellow, all deep and in combonations

this was taken from the deathbydying webstie....

:huh: why would a betta splenden be dyed?
fair enough its not their 'naturel' colors but its not dyed :look:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back