Dwarf Water Lettuce in 5.5g?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can I put dwarf water lettuce in a 5.5 gallon? If it gets overrun I'll use it for my other tanks, since I've been wanting floater plants in them. Or will it just get too big?
Thanks

The size of Water Lettuce depends upon the environmental conditions in the aquarium (or pond). I had this plant in my outdoor pond in summer, and it grew to about the size of a dinner plate. But in my aquariums, it remained small in some and slightly larger in others.

The plant species is Pistia stratiotes. In good conditions, this plant will grow large, up to 50cm / 20 inches across, though usually smaller. The "dwarf" form, which is not a separate variety, subspecies or distinct species, is believed by most sources to be due to less than ideal conditions; observations have noted that the "dwarf" plants develop into normal large plants when conditions improve. Light is a major factor, which is one reason my aquarium plants grew so large in the outdoor pond under summer sun.

It may do very well in your 5.5 gallon tank. One nice thing about this plant is that it rapidly produces daughter plants, and if it does get too large, take the parent plant out and leave the daughter plants, which will grow to a similar size, again depending upon light and nutrients. It will probably be better with a comprehensive liquid fertilizer. Fast-growers like all floating plants are need a good supply of nutrients.

Thank you! It will be a guppy tank, temp will be 78, and I will be adding the Aqueon liquid fertilizer for my other live plants. I just have a normal aquarium that I had to use electrical tape on because it was to bright. I don't really understand lights, so I can't give you the details of it, but my other live plants are growing under it.

Can I put dwarf water lettuce in a 5.5 gallon? If it gets overrun I'll use it for my other tanks, since I've been wanting floater plants in them. Or will it just get too big?
Thanks
Hello. With good lighting, Dwarf Water Lettuce is anything but a Dwarf! Here's a photo of Dwarf Water Lettuce outside in a 300 gallon above ground tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 21

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back