Dwarf Puffers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
i'm interested in keeping dps for myself, partly influenced by everyone since everyone's so hyped up about them. :lol: i've went through the species index and all and now know their needs and everything. but there's still one question bugging me. it regards the growing of the dp's teeth.

the index mentioned their teeth (like almost every other puffer) should be trimmed to prevent overgrowing and hindering the puffer's eating (this together with the snail feeding). but then others have mentioned that dps do not really need the trimming and their teeth wouldnt really get to the point as to hinder eating as compared to larger puffers. so yeah i'm lost here :unsure:

anyone? :shout:

I've had my original DPs for two years now and never had any problems with their teeth overgrowing. I think they should be fine as long as you give them tiny snails in their regular/occasional diet.

I use a pipette to hand feed my DPs and sometimes deliberately dropping bloodworms to the gravel so that they have to get their teeth onto the hard pebbles to get the worm. They will "attack" the worm even though it doesn't move :lol:. I also have MTS in my tanks which they find from time to time.

I wonder how one can trim a DP's teeth though since they are so so small (size of a peanut) :rolleyes: Don't know how you can hold a DP still without hurting it :lol:

They are very very funny fish :lol: (I know... I'm DP mad :blush: :lol:)

I have over 150 fish, and these are by FAR the most fun of all my fish and I have an arrowana, Bettas, High-fin harks, angels, TONS of fish. They are incredibly smart fish. I have 5 DPs and I have not had any problems at all with them. not with teeth, agressivness, anything. Though one of mine insists to jump ot of the tank once in awhile (problem now solved). But thats only that one fish, eh, he's the rebel without a cause.

Definetly a nice choice of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back