Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dwarf Puffers, What All Potential Owners Should Know

Discussion in 'Oddball's institute' started by Fella, Apr 6, 2006.

1. pandacichlid

pandacichlid Member

I wouldn't mind a few Dwarf puffers :)
    I heard they're brackish, but I didn't think they were.
    good information! :good:

2. mav8989

mav8989 Member

I have my 2 DPs ("Pea Puffer" which is C. travancoricus?) in a 65 gallon community aquarium. They are about 1/2 inch so I'm guess they are juveniles... but not juvenile deliquents yet.... I have read the pinned forums... Great stuff, thanks! Of course, the LFS didn't mention the feeding requirements... So I've adjusted to keep them happy!

Question: They are getting along fine so far with their non-agressive community tankmates... I have noticed they are somewhat aggressive toward each other, but in 65 gallons that are heavily planted they rarely cross paths. For those that indicate they see aggression, is this something I should expect to increase as they approach their full grown size of about an inch? In other words, am I just catching a break because they are so young or if they are non-aggressive will they stay that way when they get bigger?

3. iSnail

iSnail Member

I can only tell from my less than 2 years experience of keeping DPs. In general, they do get more aggressive towards their own kind as they get older. Saying that, a lot very much depend on the individual DPs' personalities. Some are more timid than others. Also, they are very temperamental/moody as well.

Regarding other fish, it's a matter of time when your DPs decide to nip their fins. At first, they seem to get on well for a while until one day you see little half circles nipped out of tails and fins :rolleyes: Therefore, they are best kept in a species tank or with some of very few suitable tank mates like Ottos and Amano shrimps.

4. mav8989

mav8989 Member

Thanks - I'll guess I'll wait for the first little half-circle nips and then I'll have the perfect excuse to buy another aquarium - the whole species tank will let me march a new tank in the door without a fight! Thanks!

5. nmerzx239

nmerzx239 Member

6. Fella

Fella Research!

huh? There's no reply!

7. fish are friends....

This really helped

Thank You! [/size]

:good:

8. squeakytoy

squeakytoy Member

Well, I just took the plunge and got a DP. She (i think, still a little small to tell) is in a marineland 5.5 gal hex tank, with a penguin 200 and an Ehiem 2224 on it. Did I mention that I am fond of overkill? Well, the penguin will only be there until the ehiem seeds. I will post more pictures as I get the chance to get any. Should be fun.

9. jennybugs

jennybugs Eternally pruned fingers!

Cool! Overkill with fitration is a must with any puffer :D

Looking forward to your thread with pics :D

10. shaz-killie

shaz-killie Member

Is there a maximum number of puffers that can be kept together? Just i've been offered 10 but wasn't sure if this number can be kept together

11. jennybugs

Depends on the size of the tank they're intended for :D

12. Spanerman

Spanerman Member

Hellllo :hyper:

i have a 16g tank and im really loving the idea of 3 DP's and some otto's.

i will make the tank with loads of nooks and crannys for them to explore and have fun in and some plants for shelter :)

my main question is... how much are they to buy in the uk? some fish can be realy expensive are puffers?

would one male and two females co-encide together, and are live blood worms and daphnia ok for food, what about prawns?

Sam. :hyper: (getting exited now !)

13. jennybugs

One male and two females will be fine together as long as the tank is well planted with lots of caves to explore. You want to break up the line of sight and give them each an area to claim as their territory.

I paid just a few pounds each for my puffers so I doubt they'll be too pricey unles buying them online...I notice that tends to be more expensive. I'd want to see the puffers first before I bought them though.

If they're very small when you get them you'll not be able to sex them at all. The males develop eye wrinkles at about 5 months old.

Food wise, live and froxzen bloodworm are good, as are vitamin enriched brine shrimp (as a snack) and daphnia. You should make sure all foods you buy are from your LFS ideally as it's gamma treated first. I haven't seen any of mine ever eat prawn, that's not to say they won't :D One thing you do want to try and do is provide small snails for them as big as their eyes to be eaten whole. This will keep their beaks in check. Set up a snail farm for ramshorn and pond snails. The snails should do the rest.

14. Spanerman

Spanerman Member

^sourcing is a probelrm now though.... :(

what if i buy 3 and they all turn out to be males?!

15. fishtankkid

fishtankkid Member

Can I keep 2 puffers in a 7g or do i need 10?? (Heavy Planting of course)