Dwarf Puffer Tank So Far ... Suggestions / Additions? :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

annaw123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys! My tank has been upgraded to a bigger 40 litre one, and I have decided to change my stocking from a betta (still really want one though) to a dwarf puffer tank.
This is the tank so far, seeding from my big tank at home on Sunday as this tank has been VERY odd to cycle :) So hopefully will be getting some of the little critters on wednesday as long as my parameters are good.
So what else should I add to this tank? :) 
Thanks! 

Attachments

• 20131030_195824_resized.jpg
    20131030_195824_resized.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 148
A nice looking little tank, dwarf puffer prefer heavily planted tanks, so a few more plants might be a good idea.

Dwarf puffers best kept on their own, do not make good tank mates in community set ups. Fin nipper.

Shrimps and snails should be ok to keep with them though.

This might help...

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-travancoricus/

Muight I suggest a neat foreground plant? like dwarf sagitarria or pogostemon helferi? Dwarf puffers tend to get bored easily and might chomp on their tankmates.

Ch4rlie said:
A nice looking little tank, dwarf puffer prefer heavily planted tanks, so a few more plants might be a good idea.

Dwarf puffers best kept on their own, do not make good tank mates in community set ups. Fin nipper.

Shrimps and snails should be ok to keep with them though.

This might help...

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-travancoricus/

Shrimps and snails would not do well. They are the little puffer's natural prey. So inverts are a big no

They are not fin nippers but can take bits out of your other fish

They are best kept in a species tank. 5 gallons is minimum and add 3 gallons per additional puffer

And get rock caves, Puffers like to play in those

Well, that's me told off there!

My mistake, sorry.

Ignore my post in that case.

I actually found my dwarf puffers ok with ghost and amano shrimps, probably because they are quite larger then the puffers are, with scary little claws.  They sized them up once, and totally ignore them since.  I wouldn't really trust them with any other fish though lol.

A warning though, freshwater puffers are good diggers and will uproot plans if not well planted. They may also nibble on tough-stemmed fibrous plants and are a very big no, no, with MOUTH-SIZED snail and shrimps. They also love lots of hiding places.

They are verrrrrrrry cute and hardy nevertheless so they're worth it :D

Tongue_Flicker said:
A warning though, freshwater puffers are good diggers and will uproot plans if not well planted. They may also nibble on tough-stemmed fibrous plants and are a very big no, no, with MOUTH-SIZED snail and shrimps. They also love lots of hiding places.

They are verrrrrrrry cute and hardy nevertheless so they're worth it
biggrin.png
Most of the freshwater puffers are borrowers, but I do not find that to be the case with dwarfs.  Mine are very delicate with my plants too, even when striking prey like snails attached to the plants, they manage to suck them right from their shell without damaging anything.  Tounge_Flicker is right they LOVE hiding places, and lots of plants to hide in, the more plants the merrier!

They particularly love hide and seek to the point of scaring away (but not chasing) other fishes from their hiding spots. If you plan to mix them, they are best with fast swimming short-finned fish such as rainbowfish or with surface-feeders such as half-beaks, archerfishes or scats

Tongue_Flicker said:
They particularly love hide and seek to the point of scaring away (but not chasing) other fishes from their hiding spots. If you plan to mix them, they are best with fast swimming short-finned fish such as rainbowfish or with surface-feeders such as half-beaks, archerfishes or scats

I cant really recommend  scats, they need brackish water and may eat the dwarf puffer, so are the archers

Dwarf puffers also need a little salt. Plus they're more aggressive than scats that stay in mid-strata than puffers that spend a lot of time near the bottom, playing hide&seek. Also in a well-maintained tank, scats would prefer to eat plant matter than exert energy to hunt down food.

Archers are only aggressive when kept singly especially the bigger types. Young T.microlepis in groups of 4 or more usually become peaceful enough if they grow together with other fish in the tank.

Tongue_Flicker said:
Dwarf puffers also need a little salt. Plus they're more aggressive than scats that stay in mid-strata than puffers that spend a lot of time near the bottom, playing hide&seek. Also in a well-maintained tank, scats would prefer to eat plant matter than exert energy to hunt down food.

Archers are only aggressive when kept singly especially the bigger types. Young T.microlepis in groups of 4 or more usually become peaceful enough if they grow together with other fish in the tank.
This is also false, sorry Tounge!!  Dwarf Puffers don't need any salt, the rivers these guys live in have very little to no salt in the water, this is in fact one of the few species of puffers that is slightly intolerant to salt.

Hehe. I've kept mine with a little salt. His/her water does not taste salty nor slightly salty. Like a few dashes. Precautionary thing or more like an OC thing :)

Didn't hurt him/her but it did make it a little aggressive

Thanks for the replies everyone!! 
Will get some more plants and also some little plant pots and caves for them to hide in, want them to be happy in their tank! :D 
I think it looks nice so far, dont want millions of ornaments and stuff in there, just lots of plants and some natural looking caves :)

annaw123 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone!! 
Will get some more plants and also some little plant pots and caves for them to hide in, want them to be happy in their tank!
biggrin.png

I think it looks nice so far, dont want millions of ornaments and stuff in there, just lots of plants and some natural looking caves
smile.png

Some driftwood would look neat :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back