The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
tank size 2.5 gallons

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph ?

This puffer has been in the tank for a couple days now and all he does is just kinda "chill" around. Does not eat, does not swim that much and I don't know what it could be? Tank temp is right around 78 degrees F. Substrate is gravel with an underground filter. So far we have put in some flakes (I know this may not be the best food) and we have a couple snails in there. Right now he just buried himself between the heater and some rocks? Does anyone know what could be going on? Do they just act like this when you first get them or what?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

-FHM

Still no signs of improvement. I don't think this little guy is going to make it? :(

Anyone have any ideas?

-FHM

Sorry for all the posts...

The ugf uses an aerator, and this aerator is really loud for some reason and makes a lot of noise within the tank. Would this cause any negative impact on the dp?

-FHM

With DPs you need to feed them live or frozen foods. They will usually only go after the smaller snails (or at least mine did). Can you get to the petstore to buy some frozen bloodworms? Other than that he could be stressed. Do you have any plants in the tank? DPs are pretty shy and like a lot of plant cover.

Thank you for the replies!!!!

There is one rock in the tank and one fake plant. I have more plants so I can put more of them in there.

And yes, I have some frozen blood worms I feed my Cichilds so I will just use that. I would like to get a feeder cone. Have you guys had any luck with those?

All he does is just sit around. I hope he gets better soon and starts eating!

And yes, just last night I put 4 small snails in there, so hopefully he will go after those?

Thanks for the replies!

-FHM

I'm not sure what a feeder cone it, but my DP would come up to the top of the tank to be fed and I just used my fingers to put the worms in the water. Just how small are the snails? They need to be around the size of the DPs eyeball. When I fed my DPs snails, I'd grab a tiny ramshorn out of my other tank and when I dropped it in the water the puffers would go after them immediately.

Thanks for all the input. The snails are around the size of his eye.

The reasons for his actions are due to an unexpected increase in ammonia and nitrite up to 1.0 ppm. A near 100% water change was done to lower those levels.

Lets hope this little guy perks back up!?

Thanks again fro all input. I welcome more! :good:

-FHM

Yeah, a spike in ammonia/nitrite probably isn't helping your DP much. DPs are pretty sensitive fish. Just keep up on the water changes and test the water everyday. I hope he makes a full recovery!

And I'm glad to help! DPs are some of my favorite fish, I hope I can set up another tank for some again. :3

The DP is now moved to a 10 gallon tank. He is doing much better now! :)

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back