Dwarf Pike Cichlids?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
I understand that there are three species of regularly imported Dwarf Pikes imported to England-

C. notophthalmus
C. regani
C. urosema

As I understand it C.notophthalmus is the most commonly imported and the other two are more challenging to find. They come from the South American regions along shores and banks and co-excist with mant Apisto species. I was wondering wheather I could keep the with Peacock Eels and Morgunda Morgunda sleeper Gobies. I understand that they live in a PH as low as 4 in the wild so would they be able to inhabit the same enviroment as the Eels and Gobies.

Thanks

ryan said:
They come from the South American regions along shores and banks and co-excist with mant Apisto species. I was wondering wheather I could keep the with Peacock Eels and Morgunda Morgunda sleeper Gobies.
While the dwarf cichlids are not as agressive as their larger counterparts they are still cichlids and can be aggressive by nature, the appistos which they share theyre habitats with are often their source of food. I would not recomend keeping any pike cichlid species dwarf or not with any fish you really wouldnt want to see beaten or at worst dead, all cichlids require a teritory and all the Crenicichla have to ability to inflict serious damage on non cichlids during territory disputes.

Ok CFC, I new the Apistos were partly used as a food source and I new the Pike Cichlids are known for their extreme aggression, I was just wondering weather the would they could live with certain companions. Obviously you have told me that it is not advised to keep them with Peacock Eels or Sleeper Gobies, just out of interest incase I keep them sometime in the future, what can they be kept with if anything? Other large/similar sized aggressive predators?

Thanks

A single pike can be kept with non territorial fish like large characins (silver dollars etc) and medium sized catfish (hoplosternum for example) and other cichlids that are too large to swallow but not overly aggressive. Pairs should only be kept in a species tank since the prelude to spawning often includes wiping out all other fish in the tank. Due to their territorial nature if you are keeping a pike with other fish i personally wouldnt use a tank less than 50 gallons and if keeping a pair not less than 40 gallons.

Most reactions

Back