Dwarf Gouramis

Tiswas

New Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Buckinghamshire, UK
Just a quick question that I think I already know the answer to, I have a 60L tank (18x12x12) that I am planning to put a male dwarf gourami in as part of a community set up. My question is this, I've read that they are happiest in pairs but i'm none too keen on having babies as I've no where to put them and have no desire to keep them. I've also read that they can get quite aggressive when spawning and dont want any issues in the tank. My question is this, is my tank too small for two males? And what are people's experiences with these fish? Will a pair breed a lot and will any resulting fry survive for me to have to deal with?
 
I have 1 male in my 60l, he is a peaceful fish, however, others on here may have had other issues. They are known as semi aggresive fish. What other fish do you have in your tank?
 
At the moment I only have one kuhli loach and one male guppy. :sad: I had a major issue with some guppies from LFS being diseased and killed off most of my stock. Am planning on adding more kuhlis, neons, and shrimp once I get this crisis sorted. And I'm also planning on adding a lot more plants to it as well.
 
Its not recommended to keep 2 males in that size tank and if you got male and female its better to have 2 females to the 1 male.

I'd just go with 1 male they seem to do fine by themselves i've got 1 male in my 44 gallon with neons, cherry barbs and cories and he does fine doesn't really bother the other fish except for food time he charges abit, but hes been in there for nearlly 2 years now so i'd say hes happy :)
 
Cool thanks guys. I had already decided that it was too small and was planning on getting just the one and your comments just confirmed my suspicions. Just thought I'd check!
 
I had two Males in a 125litre and one became a bully - he was promplty returned to the LFS and now my single Male is very active and happy in there :D Some are shy some are aggressive - they really do seem to have their own unique personalties, very interesting fish :)
 
I have two males in a 180 litre with lots of plants and they do come to blows! Funny to watch too one who has a small nest trots over and nicks moss when the other isn't watching but I was amazed the other week when the underdog took over the bullies home :huh: Stayed like that for two weeks but now the bully got his nest back... Weird!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top