Dwarf Gouramis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got my dwarf gourami (Henry) a little over a week ago. Everything I had read about them said that they were community fish that were territorial to other members of their species but good with other fish. Since I got him my male guppy (Monkey) has had pieces taken out of his tail and has gotten the tendency to hide. Why would the gourami take it out on the guppy? I don't have anywhere to move either fish right now since my other tank is full of fry and the pet stores in my area wouldn't take any fish.

The only guess that I have is that this gourami of yours is mistaking your guppy for competition. He's probably thinking "bright, long tailed thingy = another male like me"! They're very closely related to bettas, and most people can't get away with putting their male bettas with guppies. I have heard of this happening one other time. Can you take back the gourami by any chance? Fish stores will sometimes take their fish back within 2 weeks if they don't work out. I know that I was able to take back my dwarf puffers after almost a week, no questions asked!

HMMMM....... well i got this new 20 gallon tank and i got some new fish one gouramis and 2 guppys and 1 zebra sumthin... well they seem to be fine! and today 11/10/03 i got more zebra sumthin and 1 more guppy and nuther gouramis! they are all fine together

From what I have heard (never kept dwarf gouramis myself though), they can be either very timid and hide form other fish or be surprisingly nasty bullies for their size. Sounds like you got one of the latter. I'd assume the same as juliethegr8t did, that your gourami is mistaking the guppy for a rival.

Guppy_Molly_Lover I believe you are referring to zebra danios I have a dwarf gourami in with 3 zebra danios and he gets along fine with them. And I'm getting another Dwarf gourami (blue) on Saturday if everything is okay with my tank. And I'll let you guys know if they are territorial or not.

mike777 said:
And I'm getting another Dwarf gourami (blue) on Saturday if everything is okay with my tank. And I'll let you guys know if they are territorial or not.
May I suggest you don't get another dwarf? I know many people, besides having the experience myself, that have had 2 aggressive dwarf gourami males. They've VERY closely related to bettas, and anyone in fish knows you can't have two male bettas together. This is almost ALWAYS the case with dwarf gouramis. Please, please don't just take a chance to "see" if they're aggressive. They will be...! You'll just end up with an injured fish eventually, and if not injured, they'll at least be stressed. Reconsider your desicion, for the fish. Thanks.

Well the guppy's tail kept disintegrating after I separated the two fish and treated the tank with Melafix for tail rot. And now he is dead. I am not sure if its my dwarf gourami's fault because I never saw it being aggressive, and it hasn't been near the other fish at all. I dunno... I am sad..... :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back