Dwarf Gouramis With Pearl Gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RedTail123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could I keep a Pearl Gourami with a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami and a Honey Gourami? I already have the pearl in my tank, he has been really peaceful, but I worry that the dwarfs will be mean to him or eachother.

Could I keep a Pearl Gourami with a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami and a Honey Gourami? I already have the pearl in my tank, he has been really peaceful, but I worry that the dwarfs will be mean to him or eachother.

Pearl Gouramis are by nature, much less aggressive than Three Spot varieties but they can still defend themselves. Chances are the Pearl Gourami would be fine with a Dwarf Gourami, but a lot has to do with the size of the tank, hiding places, etc. I would think a Pearl would be chasing the Dwarf if anything.

I would also think a Honey Gourami would be too small to go with either of the other Gouramis, but maybe I'm mistaken.

What size tank are you keeping them in?

I'm keeping them in a 55 gallon.

Nice! They should be very happy in a tank that size. Many folks get 2 or 3 of these types of Gouramis and cram them into a 10 gallon wondering why they have problems with aggression.

I would put a lot of plants and assorted decorations so each can establish their own territory. If you're still worried about aggression you can get a larger female Pearl to go with the smaller male Dwarf Gouramis. This way she'll be able to hold her own.

The Pearl Gourami I have in my 55 gallon is about 3 inches long, he's a male. So if the Dwarf Gouramis are smaller than my Pearl Gourami then it will be fine?

In my experience dwarf gouramis are a bit more aggressive than pearl and you might actually find the aggression stems from the dwarf. I haven't actually kept them both at the same time so i can't be certain, but you have a nice big tank there and with enough plants there will not be any problems i am pretty sure of that.

Start with a single dwarf and see how it go's. If the aggression isn't a problem then maybe add another. Better than getting loads in at once only to find they won't tolerate each other.

Hows the flow in the tank?

One more thing, dwarf gouramis are slightly notorious for being a bit short lived due to inbreeding and disease (but there are people who have no problems with theirs), so i would definitely quarantine before adding to the main set up.

In my experience dwarf gouramis are a bit more aggressive than pearl and you might actually find the aggression stems from the dwarf. I haven't actually kept them both at the same time so i can't be certain, but you have a nice big tank there and with enough plants there will not be any problems i am pretty sure of that.

Start with a single dwarf and see how it go's. If the aggression isn't a problem then maybe add another. Better than getting loads in at once only to find they won't tolerate each other.

Hows the flow in the tank?

One more thing, dwarf gouramis are slightly notorious for being a bit short lived due to inbreeding and disease (but there are people who have no problems with theirs), so i would definitely quarantine before adding to the main set up.

That's some good advice right there. Add 1 at a time, these aren't schooling fish so there's no benefit to adding a bunch at once. You might be able to get away with 2 male Dwarf Gouramis & a single male Pearl but these fish should be kept at 1 male per 2 females. Try getting a female Pearl, wait a week or two & add another female or similar size. The reason for 2 females per male ratio is because it spreads out the attention/aggression between the two females giving one or the other a break.

Finding 2 female Dwarf Gouramis might be a challenge since the local fish stores usually only have males because they're the brightly colored ones.

I'll start out with one. My water flow is pretty strong, but only on the right side of the tank. I would quarantine the fish but my parents think it's too expensive to set up ):

Good luck! I presume you mean to add a single male Dwarf to your male Pearl right? Either way, please update us on how they get along. I've been itching to put my Powder Blue Dwarf male in with my Pearl pair & the OPaline female but I'm afraid to mess up the good vibe they have going on right now.

Gouramis do like gentle flow, so maybe face the filter outlet in a way that doesnt create to much direct flow if that makes sense?

Gouramis do like gentle flow, so maybe face the filter outlet in a way that doesnt create to much direct flow if that makes sense?

Believe it or not all my Gouramis seems to like the flow now & then. They change it up so to speak. I do realize that in the wild they don't really get much current, bubbles, etc. but mine all seem to like my filter outlet area as well as a swim through the bubbles.

Thats interesting, when i kept them i was always weary it might exhaust them and stress them out. Good to know, i was always looking for ways to get good filtration and easy flow. I'll remember that in future.

Infact i may have to buy another pearl gourami, all this talk of them just makes me want another one or two. Always fancied keeping Pearls with Honeys.

Just out of curiosity, has any one had experience of keeping pearl gouramis with angel fish? I think that would make an impressive pair.

I would think Pearl s with Angels would be a great mix, but I'd leave the males out if possible & make sure the Pearls are slightly larger than the Angels since some Angels can be very aggressive.

Would look very impressive wouldn't it? I think the Pearl gouramis are one of the most impressive tropical fish about to be honest. Love em

Most reactions

Back