Dwarf Gourami's Or Tetra's?

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,229
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Beds, UK
I'm looking to add a few more brightly coloured fish to my 60L and have just found out I've been overpaying Virgin for the internet, so (with a big smile on my face) I'm about to head to my LFS. I'll definately be buying a few guppies which may or may not get moved into a different tank in the not too distant future.

I've got Pearl Danio's, WCCM's and otto's in there at the moment and want something with a bit more colour. I've done alot of reading around Dwarves, the only problem being finding an LFS where I can buy 1 male to 2 females to farm out the aggression.

The other thing I'm considering was some form of blue-coloured (not neon's/cardinals) or red/orangey tetras.



Any suggestions? I'm just getting ready to leave, so any quick replies will be appreciated!
 
If the LFS only have male Dwarfs either get One or Three, One will be fine on its own and Three will even out the aggression if there is any!
 
My LFS only sells dwarves in pairs, which I'm not happy with-too much risk of the male bullying the female to death.

And they don't stock Galaxy Rasbora's (which I will definately buy one day with a bigger tank, and am in a position to breed them.)
I'll check out the Embers though, thanks.
 
My LFS only sells dwarves in pairs, which I'm not happy with-too much risk of the male bullying the female to death.

And they don't stock Galaxy Rasbora's (which I will definately buy one day with a bigger tank, and am in a position to breed them.)
I'll check out the Embers though, thanks.

The Buy a Pair then ask for only a single female, if they so no ask for the manager, remember the customer is always right
 
I decided to hang fire on the gourami's, not least because I'm not entirely sure I could identify the females. Elsewhere they tend to be obvious by their colouring-much more pearl-but they had alot of juvi's in the tank so I wasn't sure which were female and which were just young males, and I didn't trust the LFS staff to work it out-nothing personal, but the lad I spoke to didn't know what I was talking about when I said I wanted some more peppered cories.

Got a betta instead (rescue mission, staying in the community tank until a heater arrives for a 30-ish litre tank I've got lined up for it) and some cories.

Was sorely tempted by the ember tetra's, beautiful little fish. Anyone know if they'd live alright with a betta in my small tank?
 
tetras tend to be nippy so it isn't recommended to keep them with bettas.
 
I'm toying with the idea of doing one of the following:

Once the heater for the little tank arrives, move the Betta in along with the cories and WCCM's, leaving me free to add a couple of guppies, some ember tetra's and dwarf gourami's to my or:

Move the WCCM's into the little tank, add Ember tetra's and a couple of guppies to the little tank, leaving the Betta in the main tank and adding dwarf gourami's to the main tank.

Decision's decisions. Will have to do some species forum posting, find out what works.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top