dwarf gouramis or other options for office community tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I had a mated pair of angle fish that lived for many years in my 55 gallon tank, beautiful fish but aggressive eaters :fish:

As you can't do water changes or infrequent then I suggest Tetra EasyBalance. You add it weekly and you don't have to change water for upto 6 months. It reduces nitrates and stabilizes PH.

I do heavy water changes once a month, and have recently added to my routine, a weekly filter rinse with 2-5 gallons of water change (depending on how much energy I have). The tank owner has quite decided that a single betta will be sufficient for this tank, and as it is fairly heavily planted, I think this water change routine should be sufficient.

I haven't heard of that product before. Thank you for letting me know about it. I will keep it in mind in case I ever might need that type of thing in the future. :)

I do heavy water changes once a month, and have recently added to my routine, a weekly filter rinse with 2-5 gallons of water change (depending on how much energy I have). The tank owner has quite decided that a single betta will be sufficient for this tank, and as it is fairly heavily planted, I think this water change routine should be sufficient.

I haven't heard of that product before. Thank you for letting me know about it. I will keep it in mind in case I ever might need that type of thing in the future. :)
I think a single betta would be the best option here. A single fish in a 35 gallon tank will be the best thing for not as often changes

Tetra Easy Balance is a gimmick, in my opinion. Just because it says you don't need to do a water change for 6 months, it is not true. The website says it "sustainably reduces phosphate and nitrate " but it doesn't mention removing all the other things that build up in a tank.
Water changes remove everything, not just nitrate and phosphate.

I agree with essjay. And adding more chemical concoctions will only make life more difficult for the fish. There is no replacement for weekly 50-70% partial water changes.

A single Betta in a 35 gallon tank? :huh:
Well, lucky lucky Betta!
It would probably be a perfect solution given the specific situation she is in. Given all the variables in the equation, it would solve her problems.

Other ways to fill tank space would help.

Maybe get some really hardy plants that are bought large, like one of those Mother Anubias in a pot, and other really attractive larger, low-maintenance plants.
A nice non-scratchy piece of wood
One big stone.
Betta's have so much personality, too!

Well, lucky lucky Betta!
It would probably be a perfect solution given the specific situation she is in. Given all the variables in the equation, it would solve her problems.

Other ways to fill tank space would help.

Maybe get some really hardy plants that are bought large, like one of those Mother Anubias in a pot, and other really attractive larger, low-maintenance plants.
A nice non-scratchy piece of wood
One big stone.
Betta's have so much personality, too!
Totally agree!

The tank already has lots of plants (large java ferns and another large-leaved something with thick leaves and which doesn't get buried). There's a large driftwood decoration too. There is a lot to explore and poke about at, so I think a betta will have a grand time in the tank. :)

I like the idea that it will show people that you don't HAVE to keep bettas in tiny habitats. Maybe people's minds will be broadened a bit by the exposure to one being kept in such a way. If you want to keep a betta, you know you have to keep it by itself, but why do you have to buy it a little bowl? Why not a 10 gallon or even larger? My hope is that it will make people think a little. Also, with the plants. Lots of people have said that they didn't realize you could put real plants in an aquarium or that it must be tricky, etc. And the sand substrate has been a new experience for many as well, which gives me an opportunity to explain its importance to the cories mouths (no one wants anything to happen to those adorable "whiskers"). So, this tank has been educational for at least some folks that have seen it.

I like the idea that it will show people that you don't HAVE to keep bettas in tiny habitats. Maybe people's minds will be broadened a bit by the exposure to one being kept in such a way. If you want to keep a betta, you know you have to keep it by itself, but why do you have to buy it a little bowl? Why not a 10 gallon or even larger? My hope is that it will make people think a little. Also, with the plants. Lots of people have said that they didn't realize you could put real plants in an aquarium or that it must be tricky, etc. And the sand substrate has been a new experience for many as well, which gives me an opportunity to explain its importance to the cories mouths (no one wants anything to happen to those adorable "whiskers"). So, this tank has been educational for at least some folks that have seen it.
This is great!
Lucky lucky lucky betta

Most reactions

trending

Back