Dwarf Gouramis behaviour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MungoMan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a pair of dwarf gouramis, and the male seems a little `off` with the female. He often chases her away when she gets close.

Is this him being aggressive, or is he just getting a little `fresh` with her? :*)

Or are they just settling in and finding their own spaces?

thanks
-Si

Dwarf gourami males can be surprisingly aggressive for their small size. Things might get better once he's established a territory but chances are he'll continue chasing her. This risk for this is especially large in a small tank, what size is yours?

It will help to provide hiding places for the female so she can get away, and keep the tank densely planted.

Morrgan said:
Dwarf gourami males can be surprisingly aggressive for their small size. Things might get better once he's established a territory but chances are he'll continue chasing her. This risk for this is especially large in a small tank, what size is yours?

It will help to provide hiding places for the female so she can get away, and keep the tank densely planted.
Thanks for that. It's a 2ftx1ft tank (55ltr). It's got planty of cover and she does get the chance to get away from him. Would adding another female make matters better or worse?

Since the female in your tank can get away from the male, I'd suggest keeping them both and watching them closely them for a while. If things get better, great, but if the female starts getting too stressed it might be best to remove her and keep the male on his own.

Hmm, if your tank was bigger you could try getting another female, but a 55 ltr won't be enough for three dwarf gouramis. This is because even the females can be nasty if they decide they don't like each other, especially if they don't have enough "personal space". If you're unlucky you could end up with a chain of bullies. For a male and two females I'd suggest at least 80 ltr.

Hi Mungo Man :D

Your dwarf gourami is just being a dwarf gourami. Chances are he will keep chasing her and she will keep running away and hiding behind the plants. If he is not hurting her, don't worry about it.

Even after having several batches of fry together my 3 spots still act like that. He doesn't hurt her, but it does look kind of scary/sad. :eek:

Of course now, when they get in the breeding tank, it's a different story! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back