Dwarf gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hassan 2021

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys. Last year I purchased a dwarf gourami but few months later it passed away due to suspected dwarf gourami disease which has really made me anxious about purchasing it again.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any local dwarf gourami breeders in London area or close by.

Thank you

you could ask the local pet shops if they know of anyone who breeds them. Ask them if there is a local fish club too. There might be members of the fish club that breed gouramis.

Hi guys. Last year I purchased a dwarf gourami but few months later it passed away due to suspected dwarf gourami disease which has really made me anxious about purchasing it again.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any local dwarf gourami breeders in London area or close by.

Thank you
Look on eBay>Read the Reviews*>Contact and talk to the seller and learn as much about them, their attitude to fish and their fish breeding/keeping/selling operation.

*Be cautious in this, because there are many incapable of looking after fish, who then write a bad review because their fish died. ;)

Locally Bred fish will most probably come off imported stock so are unlikely to be much stronger than the fish you have had. I would look at changing your LFS. You need to see if you can figure out where they are getting their fish.

Look on eBay>Read the Reviews*>Contact and talk to the seller and learn as much about them, their attitude to fish and their fish breeding/keeping/selling operation.

*Be cautious in this, because there are many incapable of looking after fish, who then write a bad review because their fish died. ;)
Thank you so much

Locally Bred fish will most probably come off imported stock so are unlikely to be much stronger than the fish you have had. I would look at changing your LFS. You need to see if you can figure out where they are getting their fish.
Locally bred fish probably won't be infected with the Iridovirus though.
Most LFS's sell imported fish from South East Asia. Chances those are infected are quite bigger

So if locally bred fish are definatly locally bred and not imported then it's all good right?
There's still good odds that they are weak genetically. The issue with Dwarfs comes several fold, the biggest being that they are overbred. They generally have a weaker immune system, so it would depend on where the breeder originally got their stock in the first place.

What is referred to as DGIV isn't in fact unique to Dwarf Gourami, other Gourami such as Pearls are capable of contracting this particular iridovirus. The difference is they wouldn't usually show signs of it, but because of the weak genetics Dwarf Gourami typically don't deal with anything very well.

I would think you still have better odds through a local/reputable breeder though.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back