Dwarf Gourami Sexing (Pic Inside...)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

J4G3D

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a male dwarf gourami and he is alot more blue in colour than the 1 in the pic below also he is longer, bigger, sharper dorsal fin compared. So im hoping and im thinking she is a female.

So can anyone help me please sex this?....

DSC01163.jpg

i think the female dg is just a silver/grey colour. you dont see many at lfs because they dont sell as well as the colourfull males...

Are you 100% sure on that? because reading up on them nowhere says the females are only silver(apart from on here)

It says the females have a rounded dorsal fin, smaller in size but bigger belly/gut(different shape) Now the pic compared to my male DG is completely different where as my male has a sharp pointed dorsal fin, longer slimmer body. Almost looks a completely different type of fish compared...

see this link...
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/dwarf_gouramis.htm

theres 5 pics of DG on this link

I have the top 1 (male) the second one (male) and if you look at the 5th one on the link which states its female.. That looks identical to mine, shape wise (more rounder)..ect..ect....

That dwarf Gourami is a definate female, it is a falsehood that you only get silver females. I myself have a female that exact colouration and have bred her.

female, you can tell because the top fin is curved at the end and doesnt come to a point also because male dwarf gouramis are normally more colourful.

heres a picture of a pair. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Colisa_lalia-Male_and_Female.jpg

if yours is a female it'd be the most colorful one i've ever seen.

Heres a picture of my breeding pair. If you look at the fins you will see the difference between both.

23rddecember2008027.jpg

I have had several batches of fry from these pair so they are definately male and female.

The pic is of a female, they have shorter bodies. That is a very colorful female though, good luck with her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back