Dwarf Gourami Information?

Reaction score
Hi,
Soon I'm going to be getting a dwarf gourami for a 160L tank, I've done a lot of reading about them but I would still like as much as I can get.
My main questions are:
What would be the ideal temperature for one? (Celcius please)
What sort of food do they prefer?
Do they like much filter flow?

Any other information would be muchly appreciated!
Thank you in advance! :D

Also what sort of pH would be good for them?
I know that most if this is on the Internet but I just want to hear what you've experienced best with them! :)

Temp: 25
Food: all fish prefer live food, but they'd be willing to accept flake and frozens :p
Filter: probably not a whole lot, I don't have much experience but they seem to be slow moving so a fast current wouldn't help
pH: a stable pH above all else, trying to change it most often leads to more bad than good

Mine are doing great in my community tank that's running at 24.5 °C  at a pH of 7 they will quite happily eat just about anything including Algae wafers, catfish pellets, flaked food, Bloodworm, Artema Daphnia. (be very careful you don't overfeed as they will look very pot bellied and uncomfortable with it) I have the flow on my aquarium set quite low via a short spraybar having the plants just showing signs of gentle motion (they love a well planted tank)

Okay thank you so much for all your help!
Do the dwarf gourami's like some veges? I was thinking peas although I'm not sure what else I could feed, (I'm open to suggestions)
I'm not quite sure of the plants that would be in the tank, I'm thinking java fern, anubia nanas, java moss and amazon swords. I'm open to suggestions as I'm looking for more plants that could be planted in pots and are rather hardy (low lighting and no ferts), I would be grateful for some more ideas!
I'll probably have my tank at 25°C would that be a good temp for them?

I don't have dwaf gourami's but I do have 12 gourami's in my tank 6 of them are honey gourami's,

My tank has a relativaly high flow in certain places but my gouramis seem to enjoy it as theyll try and battle the flow then come out of it and then swim back into it,

my ph is 7.0 and my tank temp is 26.c,

and as said above mine eat pretty much anything I put in my tank,

Bloodworm pellets
Cuecumber
Courgette
Algae wafers
Flakes
Tetra pro colour flakes/discs
Mussels
Jbl high protein pellets.

I guess it's what you have to offer them I suppose and depends on what your gourami actually likes aswell

Depends as I've got a 11 inch plec. I usually cut about 2 inches then cut it down the middle so there's 2 2 inch peices bit I would try a smaller bit say a inch and try a few try's with it as your fish might not eat it straight away.

I've had a pair of dwarf gouramis (one male one female) for just a week now in my community tank; they seem to be very happy, feeding well and getting on well with the tank mates.  They like flake and freeze dried bloodworm; haven't tried them with peas yet.  They're not so keen on the sinking pellets that my corys and platys love.  ph is around 7.6, temp 25C, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate below 20ppm.  They keep away from the filter current and spend a lot of time swimming through and around the cabomba plants.  Very peaceful, beautiful fish, especially the larger colourful male!

Okay, thank you all for your help!
If I have any more questions then I will ask them here! :D

They also prefer a mature tank, and have a tendency toward dwarf gourami disease from overbreeding. How long have you had your tank up and cycled?

I don't have my tank yet, I'm just preparing for when I get it (early may) :) .
By the time I get the gourami the tank will probably have been up for around 2 months (after the cycling and my holiday are done).
With the veges to feed, do you have to blanch them? I read that blanched courgette etc. should be blanched, do you blanch them?

I don't blanch them, but many do.

And just my measly opinion, but I wouldn't put a DG in a tank less than a year established. I'm toying with the idea of getting one again, and my tanks are more than 2 years old.

I just think with genetically overbred fish like DGs and neon tetras, etc., they have a much better chance at survival if they're introduced to a well-established tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back