Dwarf Gourami...1 or 3?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I know the current thoughts on Dwarf Gourami in smaller tanks are for them to be in triads...ménàge a trois, a male and (at least) two females!
My reserved females were sold and I've now just got a single male. He's not shy, by any means and currently seems well-adjusted to his new surroundings.

So what are your thoughts on company...if I can get him two or three ladies, should I...or would he be quite content on his tod?

I haven’t owned gourami but I read on them a lot I would also agree that the majority would say a trifecta but I’d leave him alone the negative outweigh the positive in the situation he’s a happy solo male

If you have lots of surface plants get him a couple of ladies. If not leave him by himself.

I'd add two.
I seriously hate single kept fish

Keep them a bit cooler Bruce. They are tempsensitive ass it comes to mating / breeding = agression.

So @itiwhetu and @DoubleDutch...
Whilst the 'traditional combination is for 2 female and 1 male, what are your thought on 3 females to go with the male, (assuming, of course, I have the appropriate spaces)?
It will be fine. I have kept these guys in all sorts of combinations, sometimes you get a male or a female that doesn't like the arrangement but usually it works out fine. People on this forum tend to be way to cautious, half of the things they suggest are going to happen never eventuate in real life.

I've always said "at least 2 females and 1 male" depending on whether a tank can take multiple females.

Several years ago, shops near me always sold dwarf gouramis as 1 male/1 female pairs and wouldn't sell more than one female with a male, or females without a male. You could buy 2 pairs (2 males and 2 females) for the same tank though. I could never understand the logic behind that :(

I'm currently liaising with someone who is clearly an expert on the Dwarf Gourami, (breeds them himself, so no worries re DGV). Two ladies are a probability, three a possibility.
You need another tank, so they can breed and you can raise their beautiful babies. ;)

Most reactions

Back