Dwarf and Pearl are fighting?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OscarCichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank with 2 gouramis in it. One is a Pearl and one is a dwarf. The dwarf is brand new. I just got him Hours ago, and the pearl is herassing him. Will he be ok. The pearl is like 3 times his size maybe more.. im worried about him.

i haqd a gold gourami firs then i bought a red and blue one (i think thats a flame, not sure)
The gold one was about 3 times his size when i first put the dwarf in.
The gold chased the dwarf everywhere, and kept biting his tail.
I gave them a day and he just kept chasing him so much he was very stressed out.
In the end i had to take the gold one back to the fish shop because the other one was so baldly damaged they wouldnt take him back :/
the dwarf ended up getting ICH so i had to treat that, he was very badly eaten :(
But now he's fine his tail grew back and you wouldnt never know that it was biten off :thumbs:
So if i was you, and they dont settle down take one of em back.
But they may settle down. :dunno:
Hope this helps

Kellie
:fish:
:fish:

One thing you might want to think about is taking them both out and re aranging the tank. That way they all the fish have to reestablish territories. That's what I do when I add a new fish. Works well for me. The other thing you can do is what I call a penalty box (got the idea from watching hockey one night), put a see threw plastic container like a kritter keeper in the tank with them. Put the dwarf in there so the pearl can get use to him being in the tank with out being in the tank if that makes any sence. The container needs to be able to float in the tank. You do this for a week or two and things should be fine. I have done that a time or two as well. Also do it for the recovering livebearer mom. Hope it works out for ya.

Rose

I think it will work itself out. Pearls are probably the least aggressive of all gouramis but was there first and had a territory.

Are there plants or something that the dwarf can go to and get a break from the chasing? If so, it shouldn't get too stressed out and in a couple days I think the pearl will stop. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if down the road you see a role reversal and the dwarf becomes the agressive one.

Good luck

Yes he has alot of plants to hide in and an area in the tank where the Pearl Will not go. When i first got my pearl he was being chased by my angle. Now the pearl stays out of the entire left side of the tank because its the angels territory. So hopefully the dwarf will be ok.

I have a Blue Dwarf Gourami and a Gold Gourami, when I first got the blue one, it was a giant -> for a dwarf =)

I was dumb enough to not do any research, and one day walking past a pet store, saw a tiny eeny weeny gold gourami, and I thought, gee that looks nice.

So i bought it and instantly dwarf blue gourami started chasing it around. It was bout 2/3 size of the dwarf then....

couple months later now...gold gourami is bout twice as big as the dwarf. and roles have switched and gold gourami keeps chasing my $16.95 dwarf gourami!!

Well, Ive checked on my dwarf, it seems to be doing ok somehow managing swimming around teh tank with a big gold gourami after it.

Ive considered taking out the gold...but sometimes they just get along fine. swimming next to each other looking all peaceful.

IME, you're going to have continuous troubles if you try to keep two gouramis and an angelfish in a 29 gallon tank. All three of the fish are territorial, as you've already seen with your angel staking out one whole side of the tank. A 29 just isn't enough territory for each of those fish to have a satisfactory area when they're all full grown. If the angel and pearl had worked things out (and as was mentioned, pearls are pretty peaceful for gouramis), I'm afraid I'd suggest taking the new guy back. You may be able to keep them all alive in that tank, but I highly doubt that any of them would be very comfortable or relaxed; they'll be forever defending territories. While I find it fascinating behaviour to watch, it's pretty stressful on the fish over time.

Yes i had no choice but to move the dwarf. My 2 angels get along fine (they share a side of the tank) and my Pearl gourami has the other side. I gave my dwarf to a friend. He is now in a new very happy home along with a kissing gourami 2 black skirt tetras, and a Pl*co in a 20 gallon tank. i do have one other question about my Pearl Gourami. When i first put him in the tank he was weak (bought him from a bad pet store probably saved his life) Well he was weak and my male sword tail was hungry he attacked. Some of my Pearls Gouramis are sticking off and they have gotten hard to the touch. It has been about 3 weeks and they still have not healed. Will they ever heal? or are they permanemt?? Pics will come soon..

Hi OscarCichlid :)

Please follow up on your dwarf gourami from time to time. The kissing gourami is a big fish and it could be a worse match than the pearl you had him with. :eek:

Keep an eye on the swordtail, too. I never realized how aggressive they can be until one of the other members mentioned that one of his killed two or his cory cats. :-(

I'll watch for the pics of the pearl. (Are you sure it wasn't the angel fish who attacked it? They are known to pick on gouramis.)

i wouldnt be conserned about this particular kissing gourami. It is about 4 years old and is very calm and has become lazy with ts old age. He is still a beautiful fish but not very active. Yes i am sure that it was the Swordtail. I saw it happen. I stopped it when i saw it but im not always there. For territorial angels mine are pretty calm. Pics will be up by thursday. I have to get my camera back from my science teacher.(he took pics of his tanks which i will be putting up also).

Hi OscarCichlid :)

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics, :nod: Please post on this thread when you have them up and I'll go check them out!

Here ya go inchworm. this is the best pic i could get if my Pearl. Maybe you could tell me if his wounds will ever heal. You could clearly see them even though the pic isnt that good.

PearlGourami.jpg

^^ ok im to dumb to post the pic. How do you do it?

Most reactions

Back