Duckweed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorrell

If you're a bird, I'm a bird
Reaction score
Hi, I really like duckweed and I used to have it in my livebearers tank, but I haven't been able to find it in any store in years. Is there a reason that no one has it? Am I the only one who likes it???

I think most people don't like duckweed because of the massive growth rate, it seems to take over the tank in the time it tanks most plants to produce roots.

I have had my plant tank up for about a month, and in that time maby 10 or 20 individual duckweed plants have covered the entire top of the tank(45 tall). I am not exactly sure where it came from either, but if you are in the memphis, tn area I would be more than happy to give you some.

The biggest problem with duckweed is that it shades the other plants in the tank. I find it a terrible nuisance for that reason. I have duckweed in my ponds, helps keep the algae in check.

Sorrell said:
Hi, I really like duckweed and I used to have it in my livebearers tank, but I haven't been able to find it in any store in years. Is there a reason that no one has it? Am I the only one who likes it???
One reason you cannot find duckweed may be that it's illegal in certain states. I know that it's illegal to have duckweed in my state. If it wasn't so damn prolific!

duckweeds all over in england.Most ponds you see in shops have duckweed in them.Duckweeds good.It hides your fish from nasty animals. :nod:

Hi,

Have you tried the pond section in gardening or home improvement stores? I always see them there, esp in the summer.

Hyla

i got some in a floating mail order plant... only 2 or 3 'bits' ther is loads now though...

i'll just net it when it gets too much.

it can be horible or it can be nice some times it can get stuck in your filter (if you have a power filter) but myself i like it alot it makes a tank look kewl

Duckweed is still heavily debabted............hated by some.....revered by others. When it finds its way into one of your tanks by mistake and takes over, it is almost impossible to get it out. This wouldnt be a big deal except for the fact that it grows so fast and takes over the surface. Other people love it (I am one of these people. Duckweed does a great job covering the surface for fish that like lower light. It is also a wonderful food source. If I put any in with my koi they devour it in no time!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back