Duckweed is awful

anewbie

Fishaholic
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I also dislike it - strong surface current will help to kill or at least curtail it. It only took me about 3 months to get all of it out of my 40b; but i'm still stuck with it in the 5 and 29.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Duckweed isn’t inherently bad, people just let it get out of control. For example: right now, I dislike frogbit just because I have wayyyy to much of it. I pulled out around 3 big hand fulls of it tonight as I was cleaning the tank, because they were blocking the light of my crypts and vals.

Normally I live it, but right now it’s just a pain in the neck.

OliveFish05

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Duckweed isn’t inherently bad, people just let it get out of control. For example: right now, I dislike frogbit just because I have wayyyy to much of it. I pulled out around 3 big hand fulls of it tonight as I was cleaning the tank, because they were blocking the light of my crypts and vals.

Normally I live it, but right now it’s just a pain in the neck.
Woah, any interest in selling some?

anewbie

Fishaholic
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
The reason i don't like duckweed is that it is very difficult to remove 100% of it. I can do that any day of the week with frogbit (of which i have quite a bit).

Beastije

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I also like duckweed. For smaller tanks frogbit does not work, the roots are too long and bother the visual of the tank, duckweed is only on the surface, removes the nitrates and is easy to remove. I always had it in my 90 gallon, it never over grown, but then I never used fertilizers, all other plants were doing fine and I just scooped it out, every single leave every few days and poof, no duckweed. Unfortunately frogbit in this tank does not grow as much as I would have liked :))
Don't hate the plant, hate the plan that made you put it there and didn't work :))

vanalisa

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
It's possible to just have a little tiny weensy bit. Just keep removing that much as you go along.
That's just been my experience.
Awesome little water cleaners; love to see the roots grow.
I prefer frogbit but can't seem to keep that alive

Most reactions

trending

Staff online