Drilling And Tempered Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

drfdisk

Reaction score
I just purchased an All-Glass 125G from Ebay that does not have internal overflows. After some research I found out that the tank has a tempered bottom and would be impossible to drill. Would it be feasible to drill the BACK glass about an inch or two from the bottom for the plumbing to run through?

I could maybe order the factory Megaflow boxes but use modified plumbing. What do you guys think? I just dont like the external overflows looks or possibility of flooding.

Sorry if this topic has been covered but I have searched and read till my eyes bled.

WOOT my first post.! :p

I won't say it's impossible, just bloody difficult. Rather than try yourself with a dewalt and a hole saw, find someone locally, possibly a glasier that can cut it for you. otherwise i would get a list of glass merchants, you may need them!

In reality the setup would be ok, your just putting the outlet in the back glass rather than through the bottom. The other option would be a siphon over the back of the tank.

just be really realy carfull , try not using an electric drill too. and i kno wfor a fact you cant do annythign to temerd glass, becasue my family has been trying to rplace a peice of temperd glass for our fireplace for a year, and we still can't get it right! :rolleyes: if you try to cut that the secound the blade hits the glass you can say, BYE BYE! :lol:

All AGA aquariums have tempered bottoms and there are only one or two models that have tempered backs/fronts. I'm pretty sure its the 75g that has the tempered back. I'd double check with AGA to make sure, but you're probably safe to get the back drilled. Drilling isn't easy, but if you're very handy and very mechanically inclined it shouldn't be that difficult. I know I'm exceptionally handy with tools since part of my job includes working in a machine shop, but I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of buying a bit, setting up, and drilling. My LFS would do it for me for $25 which is worth it for convenience and/or piece of mind IMO. If your LFS doesnt drill, ask them if they know any local tank maintenance professionals cause most of them drill and/or know somebody who will :good:

Thanks for your quick responses.

Yea there is NO way you could get me to attempt drilling a tank I just bought! :no: I will call around to some local glass shops tomorrow and see if they are able to do it.

In the mean time I have sent an email to AGA asking them if it can be done. I hope so because I just dont like the idea of an external overflow.

Where are you located, someone on this forum may be able to drill it for you. Personally after drilling them myself I wouldn't take it to anyone else to do. It is really as simple as using a wood hole saw with one or two extra steps. A bit only costs $6-8 on ebay. Just try it first on a piece of scrap so you know what to expect. I understand the "shock" factor but what makes you so confident in someone else doing it to your tank? What are they going to do for you if they do break it?

Where are you located, someone on this forum may be able to drill it for you. Personally after drilling them myself I wouldn't take it to anyone else to do. It is really as simple as using a wood hole saw with one or two extra steps. A bit only costs $6-8 on ebay. Just try it first on a piece of scrap so you know what to expect. I understand the "shock" factor but what makes you so confident in someone else doing it to your tank? What are they going to do for you if they do break it?

If it's a professional, they should replace the panel that's broken, there's the protection.

If you know it isn't tempered, drilling glass is so easy it is unreal. There is an ebay seller in Hong Kong that does drill bits dirt cheap. I got 3 bits (two 32mm and one 40mm) delivered to the UK for less than $25. I have since done at least 9 holes with them without any bother.

All you need to remember is to go nice and slow, use very little pressure and keep the area wet. Once you have one one or two you will soon realise how easy it is.

If the professional doesn't explicitly state up front they will replace what they break, then you might as well do it yourself.

I can't say for any other companies, but all the companies in my area that I have talked to tell you drilling an existing tank is done at your own risk. If you have a piece of glass you want drilled it isn't a problem they will gaurantee that work, but if you take them your tank and something goes wrong - it is on you. Most of the tank drilling in this area is done at some LFSes but they will usually only do it on a new tank you buy from them. Then they back it up. I don't know about everyone else's LFS help, but around here I wouldn't trust their skills over mine.

Well I heard back from AGA and they say that the sides of all their tanks are not tempered so it's safe to drill them.

The reply to the question I asked them about buying the Megaflow boxes was:

Good afternoon.

I appreciate you emailing Central Aquatics. Unfortunately, we do not sell product direct to the public. The Megaflow box is not sold on stores either. To purchase one, you would have to buy an aquarium with one installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LMAO, ok never mind! You solved my whole problem! I'll just go buy a new tank! Thanks!

:blink:

I have been busy building a stand in my house for it and I'm exhausted. If I get a chance I will post some pics of my progress to see what you guys think. I cant drywall it until I pick up the sump next week. Im to the point I might just buy a siphon box and call it a day... I wanna see some fish already!

Anyone tried a CPR CS102? This will be my first marine tank so I am trying to buy the best equipment I can for the money. The sump is modeled after the Model F from melevsreef.com so I would like to have to two stand pipes. Any other suggestions for a box setup?

Doh! I'm late for the party gotta run!

I found a site today while I was poking around on Google that shows a similar idea for drilling the back. Its located here

Hey crazyelece, what type of setup are you using for drilling the glass? I have searched for glass drills before but I can never find anything that has a centering bit. Are you using a drill press? After seeing the pics from the site above it looks like a nice alternative. What do you guys think?

Oh, I am located around Nashville TN if anyone in the US knows someone in the area that will drill the tank.

Here are some pics of the stand I am making. It was a bar that separated my livingroom and kitchen. I thought it would be nice to build and inclose a stand then maybe drop down a wall with cabinates to make it look like it was built into a wall. And yes I know my house is a mess. hehe

Never mind the speaker wire...I'm too closterphobic to climb under the house to run them properly. :lol:

IMAGE_00001.jpg

The dog is servering time for assulting the stuffed animal.

IMG_0440.jpg

I use a dewalt 9V cordless drill, nothing fancy. You just start the bit on its side and rotate it up as it bites in. The other way to do it is to clamp a piece of wood where you want the hole with a hole in it to locate the bit where you want it. Both ways work fairly well, the key is patience and keeping the bit cool.

I will be in the Tazwell/New Tazwell area over Thanksgiving if you want to meet up I could drill it for you. My parents own a house on Norris Lake. I don't remeber how far Nashville is from there. And as I am typing this I think it is actually Knoxville that is close so I really may be off.

If you do a search on drilling a tank I am sure you will find multiple sources of how to do it. If you want I can do a photo thread on everything as well. I have a tank that needs drilling and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Wonder what the odds are of finding someone coming to TN this week on a Euro forum? lol Yea Knoxville is about 200 miles from here.

I dont know about everyone else but I would love to see a step by step on drilling. If anything out of pure couriosity to see how it's done. It would be an interesting topic I think.

Thanks for the link Fletch, I will check with them for sure.

Maybe pming crazyelece for pics. I know I dont have any, but hes done it a million times, perhaps he's got some saved up :). It really is simple though, just put the tank in a bathtub, run water over it, and drill slowly. Dont push is really the key :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back