Drilling And Tempered Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is tempered glass stronger or somthing? My 55 gallon is the same with the bottom tempered. I thought maybe the entire tank was.

Tempered glass is MUCH stronger, more importantly it can resist pinpoint stresses (like rough bottomed rocks) much better than non-tempered. Of course, if broken, tempered glass shatters into a million pieces, hence it cannot be drilled :)

Here is a pic of a hole I drilled

TestHole.jpg

But I don't really have any during pics, just before and after. I am still working on getting a replacement frame for the hex tank that broke so I haven't put the glass back together yet. This weekend is going to be pretty busy but if I get some time I'll take some pics of me drilling a hole. I can always drill a hole before the glass is put together. Also if anyone can host/post video I could record me drilling it to give you an idea of how easy it is.

Tempered glass is heat treated to make it very strong under pressure. But as soon as you try to cut or drill it. BOOM! It cracks. No way to do it.

I guess for tanks with a drilled bottom they cut and drill it first, then temper it.

Edit - ok didn't see page 2!

Well I will call the makers of my tank to make sure the back is absolutly not tempered. If not, custom overflow and skimmer here I come! After I built my wet/dry filter..in 2045

does any one know if the old old old fluval uno tanks (wooden lids) are tempered glass or not before i break it drilling holes :crazy:

B)-->QUOTE(James B @ Dec 13 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1406656[/snapback]

does any one know if the old old old fluval uno tanks (wooden lids) are tempered glass or not before i break it drilling holes :crazy:
[/quote]

I'd be 99% sure that a Brittish fulval tank is NOT tempered glass

Let the drilling comeence then. :D

*oh god i hope i dont screw it up* :crazy:

i was planning on a large amount af larger aswell :crazy: then i thought no use brain first beer in celebration lol. what size hole should i drill for out and do i need to add another hole for return thanks james. (30"by 1ft by 15" tank)

I'd get bulkhead fittings for 3/4" pipe. The hole size you need is usually listed when you buy the bulkhead ;). If not, when you get it, you can measure the threads and figure it out.

is that return aswell i know its a dumb question but do i need 2 holes or one. Thanks for all the help with various bits Ski means alot mate if your ever over in the uk drop me a line and the drinks are on me.

Lol, something tells me when I finally do go to the UK I'm gonna be drunk the whole time with all you guys buying me drinks :lol: You dont NEED 2 holes, but it looks a lot cleaner if you have two. You can take the return line up over the top with a series of 90 degree bends, but that doesnt look as good as just a hole in the back :). And besides, once you do one cut you'll be a pro and will have no problem doing the second :good:

its what brits do best isnt it. 2 holes it is then lol. i was planning on a sump in about a year but now i think its going to be as soon as i can afford it lol whats the rule on madarins i know most of em only eat coepods but tank size im guessing is over 20 gal tank lol just thinking if i was ev.lucky enough to find one on flake food etc

If you're lucky enough to find that, 20g would prolly be suitable. My buddy had one before he moved away that ate flake, so jealous

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back