The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

thuctoanvietnamese

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My dad's driftwood.Is those usable ?
20210220_070723.jpg

Itā€™s going to depend on what kind of wood it is, how it was cured, how far along in the decomposition cycle it is.

hard to give a good answer with just a picture for reference. To be honest.
Hang tight though, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s someone else here who can give you a more in depth answer

Depends on what type of wood it is.

Hard woods are usually safe, while soft woods arenā€™t. (You can test this by digging your fingernail into the wood. If itā€™s super easy, and it comes off in flakes, then itā€™s soft wood and is not suitable. If itā€™s hard to dig in, and it barely leaves a mark, it should be good)

If you soak them for a few weeks, you should be able to test this more accurately.

Depends on what type of wood it is.

Hard woods are usually safe, while soft woods arenā€™t. (You can test this by digging your fingernail into the wood. If itā€™s super easy, and it comes off in flakes, then itā€™s soft wood and is not suitable. If itā€™s hard to dig in, and it barely leaves a mark, it should be good)

If you soak them for a few weeks, you should be able to test this more accurately.
It seems hard.I tried to cut a piece with a saw but failed

It seems hard.I tried to cut a piece with a saw but failed
Thatā€™s good.

The next step would be to scrub all of that algae/moss off of it, and then soak it for a while. Soaking not only allowed the piece to sink, but it also allows for impurities to arise in the bucket, not in your tank. I would recommend a week at least.

if you dont want tannins (water will turn brown, pee color)(blackwater and bettas like the taannin it lowers ph) soak for longer

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back