Driftwood From Near The Coast

Duzzy

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
281
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi there,

I am working away this week and where I am there is a heap of dead timber/wood where it is it's about 100m from the sea/ocean and I was wondering if I soaked and boiled it would I be able to use it in my next tank?

Regards Darren
 
Hi there,

I am working away this week and where I am there is a heap of dead timber/wood where it is it's about 100m from the sea/ocean and I was wondering if I soaked and boiled it would I be able to use it in my next tank?

Regards Darren

Is it natural wood as in conventional driftwood, or is it old timber beams?

If it is conventional driftwood then a good scrub with a toothbrush prior to boiling to get all the grime and gunk off is obviously needed, but you will have to do ths several times before it will be safe for a tank. It is also better to leave it soak for a few days in order to saturate it.

If it is timber beams, you will need to check it for hidden nails, bolts or anything that can corrode in water. If it is clean of any such materials then treat it as you would the above.

It should go without saying that your wood should not have any sharp edges that can damage a fish should it get startled at all.
 
Hi there,

it is driftwood or old tree branches I was more worried about the salt spray that they would have got, but they are wonderfully bleached looking and knarly and twisted shapes really great.

Regards Darren
 
Hi there,

it is driftwood or old tree branches I was more worried about the salt spray that they would have got, but they are wonderfully bleached looking and knarly and twisted shapes really great.

Regards Darren

A little salt is not a bad thing as it acts as a mild anti bacterial for fish. I think if you clean and soak it well you should be ok.
 
If you plan on using it in your tank, then several weeks of pouring boiling water over it will remove any nasties and hopefully any salt as some fish are intolerant to salt even a small amount.

I would be concerned about adding wood that was found unless you are sure its safe, unlike rocks I dont know of a test to be sure, over time wood will soak up the water and could leech toxins or start to break apart.
 
If you plan on using it in your tank, then several weeks of pouring boiling water over it will remove any nasties and hopefully any salt as some fish are intolerant to salt even a small amount.

I would be concerned about adding wood that was found unless you are sure its safe, unlike rocks I dont know of a test to be sure, over time wood will soak up the water and could leech toxins or start to break apart.

Thanks Minxfishy,

I will see how I go, I will not add it unless I am certain it's ok but it's awesome looking wood :-)

Regards Darren
 
I am sure it is safe due to where it is but will treat it accordingly

Regards Darren
 
Hiya, i'd boil it for couple of hours just to kill anything nasty lurking inside. I boil my bogwood too to get rid of the tannins so my tank doesn't go an ucky colour. Have fun gathering it :)
 
Hi Dusky,

that tea color does not bother me greatly as it rather fits the theme but will still boil it to sterilize it

Regards Darren
 
I would check too to see whether or not the water has any sewage/chemical contamination. I know a lot of beaches are often closed because of unsafe toxic levels, this might affect the wood if it was in that water for a long time.
 
I will check but we have been drinking the stream water (from the stream) and its wonderful
 
just my two cents

i added a nice piece of driftwood from a lake that i live near. the floods that hit the midwest left tons of driftwood but also a lot of chemical contamination.

well before thinking about that i added it to my tank. the tanks been up for months and no problems, my tank is thriving! i didnt even have to boil it, just hosed it off and threw it in. the wood leaks no tannins or anything.

on the other hand

the wood i bought from the store...i boiled, let soak, and then added it to my shrimp tank

at first i thought the tannins were cool until they stained the water very dark...the light for my plants couldnt penetrate like they needed and also the tank broke out with worms, hydras, and fungus.

i took the store bought piece of wood out and now my tank looks great! what a shame too, the wood is gorgeous!






good luck on your drift wood. i would say its OK to use! just boil the hell out of it.

the trick is with wood you find is having it sink. it took a good month until i didnt need to anchor it down...finaly the wood has obsorbed the water and is no longer boyant
 
Thanks Ficious,

there is so much wood where I am working at the moment in the nearby creek/river is really healthy huge amounts of frogs and wildlife

Regards Darren
 

Most reactions

Back
Top