Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Drift wood

What is it?
Where is it?
Where to find it?
What to do to prepare it?
How much is it to buy?
Is it safe if you get it out in the wild?
Is it normal wood found by water?

those are some common questions I have

I have heard that pleco's love driftwood so I wanted to get some for my tank.

PS: I think the clown plecos look awesome!

The only really safe wood for use in an aquarium is what you buy in a fish store, though there are times when this too fails. But collecting wood is very risky. Hardwood (oak, beech, etc) is safe from the tree species aspect, but it must be completely dead dry throughout. And wood being wood, it will absorb liquids it comes into contact with (pesticides, fertilizers, oils, etc.) and these can take months to leech out.

Hardwood you collect from water might be less problematic, but it can also contain pathogens that may harm tropical fish. Temperate pathogens are different from tropical. Driftwood generally refers to any bits of wood you find along sea and lake and river shores.

The only really safe wood for use in an aquarium is what you buy in a fish store, though there are times when this too fails. But collecting wood is very risky. Hardwood (oak, beech, etc) is safe from the tree species aspect, but it must be completely dead dry throughout. And wood being wood, it will absorb liquids it comes into contact with (pesticides, fertilizers, oils, etc.) and these can take months to leech out.

Hardwood you collect from water might be less problematic, but it can also contain pathogens that may harm tropical fish. Temperate pathogens are different from tropical. Driftwood generally refers to any bits of wood you find along sea and lake and river shores.
ah I see, will have to look at my pet stores, maybe petco,petsmart has them but idk, I have an LFS near me (Tropical World Pets) mostly fish stuff but they do sell things like snakes, bearded dragons, etc anyways I'll have to see if they have any driftwood available or not.

ah I see, will have to look at my pet stores, maybe petco,petsmart has them but idk, I have an LFS near me (Tropical World Pets) mostly fish stuff but they do sell things like snakes, bearded dragons, etc anyways I'll have to see if they have any driftwood available or not.

Just make sure it is aquarium-use wood. The wood sold for reptiles and amphibians is usually not safe in an aquarium.

My favourite wood is Malaysian Driftwood, the very dark brown heavy wood; it sinks immediately, comes in a multitude of shapes and sizes (all being natural chunks of wood), and tannins are not bad though they are not a problem anyway.

I always collect my own, from anywhere dry (deciduous woods, hedgerows etc (not near roads)). There are many tree species that are safe to use, and any safe branch that has fallen/broken off a tree and been lying around long enough to dry out is fair game.
Avoid wood from rivers and lakes, because there’s always a risk of introducing disease pathogens. You want only wood that’s totally dry right through.
The price of wood is ridiculously high when you can go for a walk and bring back a couple of hundred pounds/dollars worth.
This link tells you about some of the different woods available, both in the stores ...and in the woods. ;)

Plecs want wood that’s soft enough for them to rasp at and actually eat. Some of the store bought woods are too hard for plecs, especially the little ones.

Last edited:
I always collect my own, from anywhere dry (deciduous woods, hedgerows etc (not near roads)). There are many tree species that are safe to use, and any safe branch that has fallen/broken off a tree and been lying around long enough to dry out is fair game.
Avoid wood from rivers and lakes, because there’s always a risk of introducing disease pathogens. You want only wood that’s totally dry right through.
The price of wood is ridiculously high when you can go for a walk and bring back a couple of hundred pounds/dollars worth.
This link tells you about some of the different woods available, both in the stores ...and in the woods. ;)

so what about some wood by my creek that has been there for like 3-5 years now?

it's a piece of wood that broke off looks kinda like a small bit of what you would call driftwood but it wasn't submerged

If it’s totally dry throughout and you can ID that it’s a safe species (by the trees that are there?) then it’s safe after it’s been cleaned.

If it’s totally dry throughout and you can ID that it’s a safe species (by the trees that are there?) then it’s safe after it’s been cleaned.
it should be the only times it has ever been wet is when it has rained. and it didn't have any termites, ants ,etc in it

I only collect wood from the beach. Drift wood. Longer it has been in the ocean the better. It should look like it has drifted from one side of the world to the other. I have never had a problem with wood collected this way. Make sure it is hard wood so it should be dark in colour.

Being on an island, I also collect wood from the beach. There have been a few pieces of spider wood that I’ve bought from the store. But, the price of that vs just taking a stroll on the local beach, ocean driftwood usually wins.
If the piece is small enough I’ll boil it before putting it in my tank. If it’s a larger piece I’ll soak as much of it as I can in my outside sink for a few days.

The first two images show wood that is good to use in an aquarium. Notice it is well worn. The third image shows a piece that is not suitable for and aquarium as it is not well worn down by the ocean.
20210924_143035.jpg
20210924_143147.jpg
20210924_143252.jpg

It doesn’t need to be worn down. It just needs to contain no sap. If it dried out before it fell in the sea it would be ok.

The main drawback to driftwood that's been in the sea a long time is that it can take forever to sink.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back