Drift wood is good

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CARNO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So you know the big piece of drift it's not mushie its still hard but I was told it might have pest in it so it that true of should I leave it

IMG_20201029_192903.jpg
here is the tank now do you guys think I should keep it like this?

That looks great! What sort of pests? Ones that don't drown?

Well first I wan to your opinions on it before I do this I have this massive piece of drift that I could maybe put in but it might have pest

There are a few ways of getting rid of pests in drift wood, but as mentioned it depends on what the pests are. You can bake the wood in your oven, you can soak the wood in diluted bleach, you can try hydrogen peroxide, etc. In all cases,you have to rinse the crap out of the wood afterwards to remove both any chemicals as well as whatever "pests" may have died in it as a result of treatment. Also best to then soak the wood for a week or two outside the tank as well just to keep an eye on it.

I wouldnt soak it in diluted bleach. It can cause issues once fish are in the tank even if you soak it in plain water to try to remove the bleach. Some chlorine can remain in the wood and leach into the tank.

I boiled my driftwood in water for 20 minutes before putting it in my tanks . Some say that could weaken the wood but I didnt see that issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back