Drift Wood From The Beach

Jallen

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
601
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Hampshire, England
There are some amazing bits of wood washed up on beaches near by but what about the salinity which may be absorbed?

Boiling water will remove almost all of the staining because the wood is not very dense, and therefore I will need to keep it down with rocks or something, but will salt leach into the water?

Is there a way to treat wood from the beach other than coating it in varnish or something?
Thanks.
 
I would imagine like you said, soak in boiling water, and then maybe let it keep soaking for some time changing water from time to time, im not sure however.
 
i did with no ill effects :)

we were camping near a beachin scotland and i filled the boot ( had to make 2 trips home in the end lol)
anyway back to the wood, do u have a dishwasher? if so stick it in on a long hot wash ( no detergent obv) failing that boil it for a couple of hours
( i just hosed mine down and scrubbed it but i dont think i should reccomend that)
some wood does tend to go soft tho and start breaking up so keep an eye on it ;)

oh and we`d love to see pics :)

shelagh xxx
 
i did with no ill effects :)

we were camping near a beachin scotland and i filled the boot ( had to make 2 trips home in the end lol)
anyway back to the wood, do u have a dishwasher? if so stick it in on a long hot wash ( no detergent obv) failing that boil it for a couple of hours
( i just hosed mine down and scrubbed it but i dont think i should reccomend that)
some wood does tend to go soft tho and start breaking up so keep an eye on it ;)

oh and we`d love to see pics :)

shelagh xxx
Awesome. I'm fairly sure my parents will go beserk if I put a bit of wood I found in the dishwasher haha. What I did with the mopani wood I bought ages back was put it in a bucket and pour a kettle full of boiling water over it, wait 10 minutes, drain the water and repeat 4 times.

I think I'm going to head down to the beach and walk along picking up nice bits of wood I see :P
I'll take pictures of any nice bits I get, and when it goes into a tank I'll take pictures of it then (I'll definitely give it a trial, I won't go putting it in my community tank and hoping for the best :P).

Thanks!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top