Dovii/wolf Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dbanner

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Are these fish really as aggressive as people say. Iv never seen one in any aquarium stores iv been in. From the videos and pics iv seen I think they are awesome

i have always believed them to be like aquatic dragons but i have never had one and i have to say some on youtube like quite placid so who know? i suppose it depends on the individual. if you brought a young one up with tank mates id imagine it would be fine but im not to sure. they are beautiful if you have a giant tank

Not all the ones iv seen on YouTube are aggressive and many have been housed with other large cichlids, mainly oscars, red devils, flowerhorns and jaguars.

my lfs has one for sale in a 4frt bowfront, and it literally sits in the same position day in day out, and its quite sad.

£100 though so at least they are looking afdter it that way!!

They're quite similar to jags aren't they? I believe nelly has owned a jag in the past... perhaps he has some wisdom to share?

Trimar sells them them for £4.99 at 5 inch in length. They got no picks on their site though. Oh and a friend of mine has owned a jag. With tank mates too and had no problems. He added the jag after his other fish (red dragon flower horns, convicts, and red Oscar). They were all around 4-5 inches to start (including the jag) he later got rid of them all, biggest being around 10 inch, he only re homed them due to wanting something different. If a dovii is similar to the jag then I can't see them being too bad. My friends was so nice, he used to hand feed too lol

Just no... sorry they are properly aggressive fish they are right up there in the aggression scales and you need a really big tank for them as well adult size is upwards of 2 foot so your looking at at least 3-400 gallons and thats also the kind of tank you can think about tank mates.

They are predators and yes similar to Jags but scaled up and higher up the food chain they have massive teeth and can rip fish no problem, being a parachromis as well they have powerful jaws.

Mixing them is a risk end of, in the videos you see you are seeing a 3 min clip of a fish that can live for 15 or more years, they are not for the casual aquarist unless you can commit to have large empty tanks for them to go to should things get messy...

With regards your friends tank, not 100% on Oscars with Jags but fair enough, but the Flowerhorn and Red Devils are the right kind of tank mates for them.

Wills

Yeah this makes sense... The things iv been reading on them say they are aggressive but I'm yet to actually see an aggressive 1. I don't know why but iv always preferred a nice tank with 1 big fish rather than a big community tank... Just interests me a lot more and I find them better to watch. Like snakeheads, arowanas, red tail cats, umbee, wolf and so on

£100 though so at least they are looking afdter it that way!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back