Dont be shy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh hey! A newbie thread! Score!

Right, I would have posted here first, but I didn't notice it and the the only board I frequent has . . . rather stringent rules, and quite a few of them revolve around not posting "Hi I'm NEW!" threads.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the help they've given me so far. I come in, lambast you with questions and random innanities, and have plenty of new information in the morning. You guys kick ass.

Oh, right. Um. As for my tank . . . It's a mess really. I just started about two months ago with my parents 40 gal (which everyone simply forgot existed . . . poor fish) which by the time I got ahold of it had evaporated down to a 20 gal and never been treated with anything, much less filtered. Out of the seven fish originally in it, a 7-8" pleco and a male red sword tail were all that survived--how, I have no idea. We're talking a full year and a half with no water changes, and maybe once a month additions to what water had evaporated, and that was simply hosed in from outside.

Come to think of it, everything survived like that until about two months ago, so my guess would be that it was all the painted ceramic frogs my dad put in. ;)

Oh, right, and before everything died off the tank had exactly no real plants, two inches of gravel, a breeding pair of red swordtails, the aforemention pleco, some ghost shrimp (oh yeah, still alive), a couple black mollys, and four of some kind of flat silvery fish (silver dollar?).

My tank is now home to:

--A 7" black pleco thing with (natural) white spotty colorations (swimfin or fintail or something).
--2 Gold (yellow?) barbs.
--1 Mickey Mouse platty
--2 gold swordtails
--1 blue dwarf Gourami
--1 black molly
--1 teeny surviving black molly fry.
--an unknown amount of ghost shrimp (2-6?)
-- And two upside-down catfish.
--and several plants!

As for what I'm most interested in . . . I dunno, breeding is a neat thing. I want to get it to the point where I have a few survivors of each fish (egg and live) without my help, but where most of them are naturally eliminated so as to have my tank naturally balanced and populated with as little of my help as possible.

The livebearers are nothing special in that department, but I hope to get my Yellow Barbs to spawn soon.

Also, I want to get a much more full and natural looking tank, lots of plants and logs and rocks and such, and maybe a few more docile versions of traditionally aggressive fish. for whatever reason, I really enjoy the egg and live breeders coexisting, it lends personality to the tank.

And yes, I'm buying a couple separate tanks to house those which turn out to not get along at all after any failed experiment.

And . . . Well, that's it really. I've only owned and taken care of fish for a couple months really, and I just found it rather addicting.

I'm sure I'll be loaded with questions from time to time, so bear with me. :sly:

Spilk said:
And . . . Well, that's it really. I've only owned and taken care of fish for a couple months really, and I just found it rather addicting.
Addicting is the word its scary how much you fall in love with your fish :)

You guys kick ass.
Well we try :lol: :D

As for questions keep them coming, I must have missed this post when I looked at the board a few days ago, sorry to hear about the fish dying but its hardly suprising given the situation you described. Seems you've got it all sorted now though :thumbs: :thumbs: bet the pleco's having the time of his life these days :)

Hi, I'm new and don't know if I'm doing this where I'm supposed to or how I'm supposed to. :blush: But Hi!
FW

Welcome FW! You did well :) This section is just so everyone can say hi. Feel free to jump in with questions or answers anywhere you want.

I have a problem, I just started my fish aquarium and the PH balance is great, my temperature is a nice 78 degrees (recommended between 74 and 82 - tropical freshwater tank) and I've been reading instructions up the wa-zoo. I don't know if my fish are compatible though. I just bought a bala iredescent shark (at least that's what i think he is - you know they always label things wrong at pet places). He's leaving everyone else in the tank alone, but he's going batty he swims directly into the side on the tank and he just plain out seems like he's on speed. No one else is bigger then him and no one goes near him.

I do have a small tiger fish who, in a matter of a day killed the other tiger fish I had in there, would the shark feel afraid of him even if the tiger fish doesn't go near him....someone please help he's a beautiful fish and I don't want to loose him. :sad: :-(
:crazy: I can only please one person a day, today is not looking good and neither is tomorrow....lol :hyper:

It is either a bala shark OR a iredescent shark, if its a bala, then they like to be in groups, but these fish can grow to a foot long, If its a iredescent shark, then ur in big trouble...literally, these fish can get like 40" long!! I'm not sure what u mean by tiger fish, can u give a specific name ?

what size tank do u have ?

:blink: um....40" long?!?!? They sure didn't tell me that at the pet store. It's def. and iredscent shark.

As far as the tiger fish it's either a Datnioides Tiger fish or a Tiger barb, I'm not quite sure i haven't found a really good pic online that resembles the likeness of my fish.

Although they say that a Datnioides Tiger fish doesn't like others like it and a tiger barb likes to live in big groups, so my assumption is that it's a Datnioides tiger fish. and it's a 10 gallon tank... I do have other fish as well as these.

I have two smwl pink iredscent fish (very calm), a orange and black fish (with no name so far), two glass fish (unfortunatley painted .... I was unaware that they inject them with coloring), and two other fish again with no names so far, and a catfish

is it this:
tbarb1.jpg
?

That is a tiger barb what william posted :)

Is this the shark u have ? :

ishark.jpg

and yes that's my shark!!
cool you guys are good....so why if I have a tiger barb did it kill the other tiger barb? The information I got on them says that they like to live in groups

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back