Doing 2 ppm ammonia (all shrimp tank) How does this affect the fishless guide?

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all! So when I have cycled my tanks before it was for bettas, and I did the typical 3 ppm ammonia adding. But with this shrimp-only tank, and it will only have a few shrimp (introducing some fresh blood to my line and using it as a quarantine tank to do it) to begin with, I'm using only 2 ppm. But what levels am I looking for in the various stages of the fishless guide? For instance, the first amount change you're looking for is below .75ppm. Is this the same, or should it be less? I'm assuming less, but how much so? My brain doesn't want to try and do the math... all my math skills have flown the coop a long time again out of disuse. :) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I would look for the same target readings, but when it comes to adding the ammonia doses just use less. The reason for those target readings is so that ammonia is not added too often because nitrite at something like 15 ppm stalls the cycle. Since our test kits can't measure that high, TwoTankAmin wrote our method to stop nitrite ever getting high enough to stall the cycle. With even 2 ppm ammonia doses, nitrite is still likely to go off the top of the scale.

I would look for the same target readings, but when it comes to adding the ammonia doses just use less. The reason for those target readings is so that ammonia is not added too often because nitrite at something like 15 ppm stalls the cycle. Since our test kits can't measure that high, TwoTankAmin wrote our method to stop nitrite ever getting high enough to stall the cycle. With even 2 ppm ammonia doses, nitrite is still likely to go off the top of the scale.
Okay! Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back