Does My Betta Have Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a photo right now - I'm in a bit of a rush. I can get one later.

He has a couple of white spots on him but it's hard to tell whether that is just his shiny scales/skin. Though there is a really obvious one on his gill.

I have some stuff called Wardley Promethyasul which is for bacteria, fungi and parasites. I've used it before on him, a long time ago.

I'm just worried about my filter. It says to remove activated carbon before medicating. Thing is I don't know what is in my filter. It is a black sponge but I'm not sure if that is carbon or not.

Anyway if my filter can cope should I dose the meds? I'm worried about him :c

How long has the media been in there? If it is carbon and it has been in the filter for longer than two weeks, then the carbon is deactivated. However, bacteria medicines frequently wipe out healthy bacteria colonies.

The carbon was actually from my old tank, and had been there for ages. I recently moved my betta into a smaller tank and used the media from the old tank to cycle it.

Yeah I am worried about the bacteria being killed.

But do I have a choice? I should treat him, right?

If you have an extra smallish tank you can use it as a hopital tank. A hospital tank does not need a filter since you would do frequent water changes. Then you could let your filter run on the normal tank, and if you are worried about bacteria starving you can feed them with a bit of ammonia that is used for cycling a tank.

Your nitrifying bacteria will be fine with the contents of Wardley Promethyasul Broad Spectrum. True "carbon" sponges aren't just black in colour but have a stiffer character due to being dipped in a carbon based paste and allowed to set, as said very old sponges if of the carbon type the pores of the carbon will be fully blocked and so will work just as a conventional sponge. Treat him ASAP but if it is Ich survival rates are notoriously low
sad.png
up the temp if possible to about 28 degrees C 83 degrees Fahrenheit and again like suggested for your cory add salt as well @ 1 tablespoon per 20 litres

ICH will look like grains of salt or sugar on the fish's body or fins.  If it is ICH then I would treat by pushing the temp up to at least 86F (if the betta is in a tank by himself) and dosing with 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back