Does Lightning Scare Fish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been shopping around for LED lights for a planted tank I will be starting soon, and I came across some pretty nifty LEDs.  One had light modes pre-programmed to simulate weather, such as bright sunny days, cloudy days, and stormy weather. 

It got me thinking, does lightning scare fish?  The lightning modes on the LED strip were pretty dramatic, and got me wondering if it could scare fish.  Wouldn't some fish experience lightning in the wild?  I wonder how they react to great, bright flashes of light from the sky.

Here's the LED strip I was talking about: link

They're more bothered by vibrations made by loud thunder than lightning

Nah they will be fine.
Most fish do like that their eyes are not bombarded by flashes of bright light/

Some fish such as shy ones like some plecos, and morymids are a bit afraid of lighting which s too bright

They just unplug the phone and hide under the desk like me.

SO19Firearms said:
 LOL classic

Yea some fish are going to be more bothered by light then others, some are even nocturnal.  The least stressful thing for a fish though in my own opinion would be consistent lighting, fluctuating and/or moving light seems to be the least like the steady sun would be, and I would imagine would give them the most stress.   Bright flashes are going to closer mimic lightning storms, in which most animals know to take cover during storms and go into a flight response.

Aye, all though feature on the light fixture I linked are really just for the viewer's pleasure, and most likely to the fuana's displeasure.  I wonder what the benefits of all those different spectrums are.  I imagine the blue spectrum won't do much for plants, the red spectrum may induce algae growth, and I'm not sure about the green spectrum.  Sure, that light looks fun, but all the features seem unnecessary for fish and plants.

I was wondering about the lightning because my fish seem unperturbed by camera flashes.

SO19Firearms said:
LOL!

I believe you are referring to the Current brand fixture with the cloud fly by mode.  If I am not mistaken, you are able to switch to different colors as well.  I believe is uses the SMD5050 LED chips, they look brilliant to the eyes, and I doubt the cloud fly by would bother fish much, but from personal experience these chips, each LED being 4 diff color leds ( red green blue and white), tend to grow a lot of algae from all the excess spectrums.   The plants really only need the white, and there are 3 other colors that really are used mostly by algaes.   I did eventually replace my RGB led's, but they are pretty neat, and the features on the Current fixture with the clouds are pretty darn cool for viewing.

ech0o said:
I believe you are referring to the Current brand fixture with the cloud fly by mode.  If I am not mistaken, you are able to switch to different colors as well.  I believe is uses the SMD5050 LED chips, they look brilliant to the eyes, and I doubt the cloud fly by would bother fish much, but from personal experience these chips, each LED being 4 diff color leds ( red green blue and white), tend to grow a lot of algae from all the excess spectrums.   The plants really only need the white, and there are 3 other colors that really are used mostly by algaes.   I did eventually replace my RGB led's, but they are pretty neat, and the features on the Current fixture with the clouds are pretty darn cool for viewing.
Thanks ech0o.  If I end up getting this fixture, which I might because it's actually economical, I'll keep that in mind.  I'll use the RBY's when I'm showing off, but otherwise it'll just be the white spectrum for the plants. :)

Have you used this fixture in a planted tank? The PAR ratings given by Current make them seem like they are on the low-light end.  I was hoping for medium light.

When you are in full white mode, if you look close at the LED lenses, you will be able to see all 4 colors, which I thought was strange.

ech0o said:
When you are in full white mode, if you look close at the LED lenses, you will be able to see all 4 colors, which I thought was strange.
Sounds like a painful task.  :D

Most reactions

Back