Does Flourish excel effect shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have used excel in both tanks with shrimp and tanks with Val in it with no issues. Just stay within the recommended dosage

I have used excel in both tanks with shrimp and tanks with Val in it with no issues. Just stay within the recommended dosage
yes of course, with the toxicity (so I hear) of this chemical I don't imagine going out of the dosage limits :)

yes of course, with the toxicity (so I hear) of this chemical I don't imagine going out of the dosage limits :)
I have overdosed many a time with no side effects, but i would not recommend that to others :)

The toxicity to truly aquatic plants depends on the dosage, I'm dosing at the recommended dosage at the moment and my Vallis is doing well, i know a lot of aquascapers who use a 50% dosage in order to stop it from harming their truly aquatic species.

Also not all liquid carbon supplements are the same - excel uses a polymerised version of gluturaldehyde which is actually less toxic than regular gluturaldehyde, I've heard of many users regularly dosing at 4x the recommended dosage in high energy planted set ups with no immediate ill effects.

Always a good idea to gradually step up the dosage to allow everything to adjust when starting out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I came here because over the last 3 months my fish are dying. I too use Flourish Excel and recently I am thinking maybe it's the Excel that's doing it. I use a syringe but sometime i put a little extra because some people put 2 to 3 times more. So I figured I don't have to be exact. So instead of using 7.5 ml, I sometime use 9 ml. Everything is OK at the beginning. 9 months later all of my Betta fishes (1 male, and 6 females) died within a week of each other. They look like part of their bodies are bleached. Some of them the tail fin turned white/grey-ish. Other is the head, or the top fin. They died a few days afterward. Now I am seeing this on my Balloon Molly and Neon Blue Gourami.

Anyways, I am not really sure if it's really the Flourish Excel. It is the only chemical I am dosing in my tank right now. With that said I am using water conditioner during water changes.

Anyone else seeing this happening to their fishes?

I came here because over the last 3 months my fish are dying. I too use Flourish Excel and recently I am thinking maybe it's the Excel that's doing it. I use a syringe but sometime i put a little extra because some people put 2 to 3 times more. So I figured I don't have to be exact. So instead of using 7.5 ml, I sometime use 9 ml. Everything is OK at the beginning. 9 months later all of my Betta fishes (1 male, and 6 females) died within a week of each other. They look like part of their bodies are bleached. Some of them the tail fin turned white/grey-ish. Other is the head, or the top fin. They died a few days afterward. Now I am seeing this on my Balloon Molly and Neon Blue Gourami.

Anyways, I am not really sure if it's really the Flourish Excel. It is the only chemical I am dosing in my tank right now. With that said I am using water conditioner during water changes.

Anyone else seeing this happening to their fishes?
Hi and welcome.
The active ingredient in Excel (and all of the so called liquid carbon supplements) is gluteraldehyde. This is a powerful disinfectant, used in hospitals, and is poisonous to fish and shrimp. The dosages recommended are calculated to not kill fish but it is still poison and still goes into the fish. For this reason I, and many others will not use it in a tank with fish or shrimp. (Would you drink a cup of rat poison every night just becasue the dosage is low enough not to kill you?)

I suggest you stop using it and do a large water change of 50 - 75%. Use de-chlorinated water and I would suggest several more such changes over the next few days. This is always my first response when I have any fish health concerns and I recommend changing at least 50% every week - personally I do 75%.

Please note I have only answered your question, there is not enough info to diagnose anything else that may be going on so my recommendation is only based on what you have told us - but it is good advice for many common fish ailments.

For future reference it would be best to create a new thread as people are more likely to see this and respond to it than to an old thread which already has lots of replies. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back