Does anyone know how to make a tank lid?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Measure opening two or three times. If you have a rim with a recess, measure the dimensions inside the recess and subtract 3 mm from each dimension so the fit is not too tight. Make sure the final dimension is greater than the opening to the tank. Go to hardware store and get them to cut plexiglass to size. Attach removable wall hangar (Command or other brand) to the top to allow you to remove lid when fitted in the recess. If you like, have them cut the piece in half lengthwise so you can slide one half over the other. Thicker plexiglass is better so it won't sag, especially if two pieces. You could also make a hinge with duct tape rather than a slider.

Measure opening two or three times. If you have a rim with a recess, measure the dimensions inside the recess and subtract 3 mm from each dimension so the fit is not too tight. Make sure the final dimension is greater than the opening to the tank. Go to hardware store and get them to cut plexiglass to size. Attach removable wall hangar (Command or other brand) to the top to allow you to remove lid when fitted in the recess. If you like, have them cut the piece in half lengthwise so you can slide one half over the other. Thicker plexiglass is better so it won't sag, especially if two pieces. You could also make a hinge with duct tape rather than a slider.
I've seen alot of places that cut plastic but they don't have options for an irregular hexagon.

I've seen alot of places that cut plastic but they don't have options for an irregular hexagon.
you can cut plexiglass yourself by running the back of a utility knife multiple times over the line you need to cut. repeat on the other side and it will eventually go through.

you can cut plexiglass yourself by running the back of a utility knife multiple times over the line you need to cut. repeat on the other side and it will eventually go through.
That will take forever and be difficult to keep in the cut. I would use a saber saw (reciprocating) with a plexi/plastic fine tooth blade. Cover the plexi with tape to avoid scratches. You could clamp wood on the plexiglass to make a guide to ensure straight cut, but if the lid is in a recess you wont see any irregularities.

That will take forever and be difficult to keep in the cut. I would use a saber saw (reciprocating) with a plexi/plastic fine tooth blade. Cover the plexi with tape to avoid scratches. You could clamp wood on the plexiglass to make a guide to ensure straight cut, but if the lid is in a recess you wont see any irregularities.
I actually just did it the other day. It took me about 10 minutes to make my four cuts. You could speed it up by using the sharp side of the knife.

I actually just did it the other day. It took me about 10 minutes to make my four cuts. You could speed it up by using the sharp side of the knife.
I defer to you as I believe you are the knife guy ;)
Out of curiosity, how thick were the sheets, and are there any precautions to take to reduce risk of cracking?

I defer to you as I believe you are the knife guy ;)
Out of curiosity, how thick were the sheets, and are there any precautions to take to reduce risk of cracking?
The pieces I used were 0.08-in, so they were pretty thin. I just put some weight on a straight edge on top of the plexiglass to make my cut straight. I didn't experience any cracking whatsoever.

The pieces I used were 0.08-in, so they were pretty thin. I just put some weight on a straight edge on top of the plexiglass to make my cut straight. I didn't experience any cracking whatsoever.
For those who have never done this, make sure your hand not holding the knife is behind the blade. If you are not experienced, it is easy to have the knife slip off the straight edge and slice anything in the way,

For those who have never done this, make sure your hand not holding the knife is behind the blade. If you are not experienced, it is easy to have the knife slip off the straight edge and slice anything in the way,
Definitely. If anyone tries this, just know that you're doing it at your own risk. I am NOT liable for ANY injuries! 😂😂😂

I have an idea. I could have 2 pieces, one rectangle and one trapezium. The two pieces of acrylic would be joined together by a few hinges. So, the trapezium is the lid and the whole thing can be removed as well.
IMG_20220217_183225.jpg

I have an idea. I could have 2 pieces, one rectangle and one trapezium. The two pieces of acrylic would be joined together by a few hinges. So, the trapezium is the lid and the whole thing can be removed as well. View attachment 154806
Have them cut two rectangles, and you will just have to make the two diagonal cuts on the one rectangle to make the trapezium. It may be easiest to glue the hinges rather than drill.

Have them cut two rectangles, and you will just have to make the two diagonal cuts on the one rectangle to make the trapezium. It may be easiest to glue the hinges rather than drill.
I'll glue the hinges.
I've found a place where they cut acrylic to trapeziums.
I really don't want to cut the acrylic myself.
Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back