does anyone have experience with COCHU'S BLUE TETRA

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a little fluval edge 6 gallon.
I kept a few ember tetra for years and the last had passed.
I waited to get new ones because I wanted to change the substrate to sand, which I just did.

While at the LFS I saw these little blue tetra and was amazed at how pretty they were.
Do they have the same needs and desires as the ember tetra?
I don't trust the employees there...nor do I really trust what I read online, so I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge :)

Right now it's just a handful of cherry shrimp, one amano shrimp and one nerite snail.

newsubtank.jpg

Boehlkea fredcochui is presumably the species to which you are referring. This fish attains close to 2 inches, needs a group of 9 (or more) to avoid fin nipping, and an aquarium that is 30 inches (75 cm) in length minimum.

For a 6 gallon tank, Ember Tetra is about the only characin suited. There are some fish in the dwarf rasbora group, species in Boraras for example.

Boehlkea fredcochui is presumably the species to which you are referring. This fish attains close to 2 inches, needs a group of 9 (or more) to avoid fin nipping, and an aquarium that is 30 inches (75 cm) in length minimum.

For a 6 gallon tank, Ember Tetra is about the only characin suited. There are some fish in the dwarf rasbora group, species in Boraras for example.
Ahhh ok, darn it.
I do love the little ember tetra and they definitely do best in my water.
I had no luck with the dwarf raboras sadly. Precious little fish.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

From Fluval's website
Aquarium Size: 16.8 L x 10.25 W x 14 H in (43 L x 26 W x 35.5 H cm)

The Edge is designed for the water surface to be in contact with the top glass of the tank. There is a small square hole at the back for access to the inside and for the equipment cables to go through.

From Fluval's website

The Edge is designed for the water surface to be in contact with the top glass of the tank. There is a small square hole at the back for access to the inside and for the equipment cables to go through.
but what will happen if you have a bubbler? cos air has mass too...

plus thats a nice looking aquarium

From Fluval's website

Oh wow, you're good.
You beat me to all the answers :)

SF's suggestion is only 1" more length....IMO, they'd be fine, they stay tiny

SF's suggestion is only 1" more length....IMO, they'd be fine, they stay tiny

I agree. Minimum tank sizes are not carved in stone, they are guides for the well being of the fish, and thus necessary. But an inch or two is not going to have much difference to the fish, provided of course they have what they expect, a group of 20, plants (as here), etc.

When one is talking differences like 18 inches (10 gallon) and 24 inches (20g high), that can be (and usually is) much more significant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back