Does Anyone Else Think It's Weird That We Keep And Eat Fish?

Eines

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Germany
I was just thinking that as I was munching on my herring for lunch, that it's kinda weird. I mean, we keep fish but we (well at least I) eat lots of fish, even raw fish, all the time. :huh:

Watch out my little swordtails, there might be an alternative reason for me fatte- I mean feeding you. :lol:
 
Well I keep fish, I eat fish and I even go angling so I guess I am crazy. They are all contrary to each other :crazy:
 
Wow, I didn't even think about that! Going fishing too. Wow. lol. :rolleyes: so weird. :P
 
Its no different to having a dog and eating beef - whether or not we're willing to admit the fact, we keep them for our pleasure. And whilst keeping tuna I'm sure would be pleasurable, I don't think any of us have the tank for them :) so we add mayo and get pleasure another way.

Sorry if that sounds a little crass.
 
Its no different to having a dog and eating beef

agreed

sometimes people being sentimental about what they eat, but not doing anything about it winds me up. like people who can't handle it if you point out to them that the nice plate of lamb they are eating was running round in a field a few weeks ago. it's just like, yes i am a carnivore, this is an animal, i'm going to eat it. if you can't handle that then become a veggie! :rolleyes:
 
I agree with above, but there again I have no problem with killing an animal and eating it.

However that makes me a Omnivore not a Carnivore :P
 
Speaking of which, in some countries people actually eat dogs. I've heard stories of people going into restaurants with their dogs in some Asian contries and when they asked what type of meat they were eating...and then they suddenly realized their dog was gone... :crazy: :lol: Not that it's funny, I'd be very sad if I ate a pet dog, but still...

We watched a movie on genetic engineering in bio and they showed a tank full of salmon... :drool: Even if I had a tank big enough for tuna, I don't think it would survive long in there. :P
 
Speaking of which, in some countries people actually eat dogs. I've heard stories of people going into restaurants with their dogs in some Asian contries and when they asked what type of meat they were eating...and then they suddenly realized their dog was gone... :crazy: :lol: Not that it's funny, I'd be very sad if I ate a pet dog, but still...

The worlds first restaurant where you bring your own food?
 
Unless you keep a codfish in your tank or eat grilled neon tetra then it's not that weird.
 
The worlds first restaurant where you bring your own food?

apparently, it's quite common in...well, I can't remember which country it was exactly and I won't guess so I don't accidently offend someone.


Unless you keep a codfish in your tank or eat grilled neon tetra then it's not that weird.

That's true I suppose. Each fish is a different species. It'd be so funny though to, say for example, offer your visitors some salmon and then say "hold on a sec, just let me go get it out of the aquarium" :lol:
 
Speaking of which, in some countries people actually eat dogs. I've heard stories of people going into restaurants with their dogs in some Asian contries and when they asked what type of meat they were eating...and then they suddenly realized their dog was gone... :crazy: :lol: Not that it's funny, I'd be very sad if I ate a pet dog, but still...

We watched a movie on genetic engineering in bio and they showed a tank full of salmon... :drool: Even if I had a tank big enough for tuna, I don't think it would survive long in there. :P

That story is actually false. While I've been to some areas of the world that do eat dog or cat, it is a serious "no-no" to eat someone's pet/companion.

And I agree with their sentiment... while I keep fish, I do not eat my pet fish... I eat other fish that are bred for consumption.
 
id say domesticated animals are a bit different than wild animals. for example take your african grey for example...i have one and i go pheasant hunting! at least for most of us, we cant compare ourselves to the people in say vietnam and korea for owning an adorable little puppy then on the turn of a stomach have him for lunch:) thats where i draw the line!
 
I am vegetarian and can't visualize a scenario where I ever eat meat again. I just couldn't. And as for fish - well, it makes me retch walking past the fish counter in Asda as I just think of my beautiful babies back home and think, that is their distant relations lying there, dead! daft I know, but I have been vegetarian for 20 years... :P
 
Yech!!.... I've mentioned it in one of my previous replies, but my son was sharing a house with a coupla friends, and he kept some Tillapia in (my tank 2metre) and when he arrived back home one evening after work, Fish was on the menu....... he did not realize untill he checked the tank to feed 'em that those was his fish,..... They all had names.
 
I have no problem with eating fish, I just don't like how it tastes :sick:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top