Does anybody else's fish do this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppylover:)

Reaction score
My guppies like to stare at one corner of the tank. They just sit there until something outside moves or a fish bothers them. They just stare. Also, some of my other guppies go to the opposite corner of the air pump and just sit there at the surface. Is there anything that I should be worried about?

How warm is the tank. Do you have live plants. We also need to know the parameters of your tank. Maybe a photo if you can.

Having seen your tank in one of your other threads, it looks too bare and open for a fish to feel really secure.
If you had more plants in there, perhaps with some floaters, your fish might not feel the need to watch for predators.
Guppies also tend to do better in groups.
I'm curious...if you were the guppy, looking at whatever it stares at, what would you see?

Having seen your tank in one of your other threads, it looks too bare and open for a fish to feel really secure.
If you had more plants in there, perhaps with some floaters, your fish might not feel the need to watch for predators.
Guppies also tend to do better in groups.
I'm curious...if you were the guppy, looking at whatever it stares at, what would you see?
Probably my closet or the thermometer

Good morning! Please tell us more about your setup: Size of tank? Filter? How long has it been set up? Is it cycled? How many fish are in the tank and what species? Picture of the tank's setup? That information would help us help you.

Good morning! Please tell us more about your setup: Size of tank? Filter? How long has it been set up? Is it cycled? How many fish are in the tank and what species? Picture of the tank's setup? That information would help us help you.
Okay
Size of tank: 10 gallons. I have 6 guppies in there
Filter: is this a yes or no question, if it is, then yes
It's been set up for about 1 1/2 months now
Cycled: yes
Fish: 6 guppies
Sorry if that's not a good picture

Attachments

• 16328355077452312515123327845353.jpg
    16328355077452312515123327845353.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 29
What kind of filter are you running? Are those live plants or fake, and if live, what kinds? Are you able to test for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia? If so, what are your readings?

Not trying to subject you to the inquisition; just trying to learn what's going on. Overall, a neat looking setup! I like the rock work. I agree with Bruce that some more cover high up might make them feel more comfortable.

What kind of filter are you running? Are those live plants or fake, and if live, what kinds? Are you able to test for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia? If so, what are your readings?

Not trying to subject you to the inquisition; just trying to learn what's going on. Overall, a neat looking setup! I like the rock work. I agree with Bruce that some more cover high up might make them feel more comfortable.
Thanks!
I'm running a marina s10 slim filter
Live plants
I think they are called anubias
And no, I need to get a test kit for testing. Is their anything that you can recommend to me for that

I use the API test kit; there's another one that is said to be more accurate and easier to use, but I can't remember the name. @PheonixKingZ ?

A couple things about live plants: Anubias shouldn't be rooted in the substrate; it should be attached to a hard surface to grow. I use superglue; some people use string. You should get some fast-growing plants. Anubias is beautiful but doesn't clean the water as well as fast-growers. Elodea, hornwort, water sprite, cabomba, frogbit are a few easy-to-grow plants that would really help clean your water and provide shelter for your guppies. There are many others.

What kind of light do you have?

I use the API test kit; there's another one that is said to be more accurate and easier to use, but I can't remember the name. @PheonixKingZ ?

A couple things about live plants: Anubias shouldn't be rooted in the substrate; it should be attached to a hard surface to grow. I use superglue; some people use string. You should get some fast-growing plants. Anubias is beautiful but doesn't clean the water as well as fast-growers. Elodea, hornwort, water sprite, cabomba, frogbit are a few easy-to-grow plants that would really help clean your water and provide shelter for your guppies. There are many others.

What kind of light do you have?
I don't remember. But about the anumbias, I didn't know that thx

To explain about the anubias - these plants have a rhizome, the thick stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots out of the other. This rhizome rots if it is buried. It can be placed on top of the substrate but you have to be very careful it doesn't get covered, so the easiest way to avoid that is to attach it to decor. Java fern is the same, if you ever get any of that.

To explain about the anubias - these plants have a rhizome, the thick stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots out of the other. This rhizome rots if it is buried. It can be placed on top of the substrate but you have to be very careful it doesn't get covered, so the easiest way to avoid that is to attach it to decor. Java fern is the same, if you ever get any of that.
Okay I'll fix that once I get home

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back