Does All Wood Turn The Water Brown?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Em29

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At the moment all I have is some old fake wood log in my tank - algae on it...looks ok but I do not like brown water. I had some bog wood once and used it for over a year and it still turned water brown but loved the look of it.
Any ideas? Thanks :lol:

All bogwood will leech tannins into the water, this turns the water brown. The answer is to soak it for a few weeks prior to adding to the tank. I have a massive piece soaking in my garden water butt right now, it has been in there for months so when I finaly install my new tank it should be reletivly tannin free.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. The piece I had soaked for about three weeks. I suppose I could try and sourced an already used piece. It looks beautiful in the tank.

I think mopani wood leaches less than bog wood, if you could get some of that instead of bogwood you might wind the brown go quicker

Thanks - I will keep my eye out!! The mopani wood can look beautiful can't it !

All wood will leach to one or another degree no matter how long you soak it. If you simply cannot tolerate any color in the water, you can use carbon in your filter to remove the color. It is one of the few things that carbon does well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back