Do you bury your fish when they pass away?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You should NEVER flush a live fish down the toilet. Easy for you & increases the fish's suffering. Euthanize it first.
I completely agree. It's not like you are imediently killing the fish, you are just sentencing them to a horrible death in your sewer. It would only take a few more seconds to kill it beforehand.

One of these is true. I'll leave it to you gang to decide.

I build a small four legged table and a pyre, and light them on their way.

Or I poke a hole in the soil near the roots of the houseplants, and recycle them, if I don't throw them in the garden and scuff dirt over them.

One of these is true. I'll leave it to you gang to decide.

I build a small four legged table and a pyre, and light them on their way.

Or I poke a hole in the soil near the roots of the houseplants, and recycle them, if I don't throw them in the garden and scuff dirt over them.

Option C: You set them afloat on a small raft and loft a burning arrow into it as it goes down the river.

ROFL!

That's the hardest I've laughed this week. Thanks Rocky. Second place was when one of my fellow teachers said playing Wordl "hurts her brain".
Lol. Glad I could make you laugh 😆

I tried the burning viking ship deal, in my 120, but it affected water quality. Nice image there, @Rocky998 !
Image? (Sorry not getting the picture...)
(Pun intended, but also I really don't understand lol)

The visual image of a burning micro-ship with a Viking fish on it. The best images have nothing to do with photos or drawings, but are made with words!

The visual image of a burning micro-ship with a Viking fish on it. The best images have nothing to do with photos or drawings, but are made with words!
Oh lol. I took it too literally 😅. Sorry

I dry them and keep them .
Same, I wall mount all my dead fish...
1491248642398-Anderson_fish.jpeg.jpg

I live in the woods. So dead fish to big too flush, I usually throw into the woods. However, earlier this year I lost my biggest clown loach (about 12 inches TL) which had been with me for about 21 years. It was 4 inches when I got it. I buried it about a foot down in a garden I do not use all that much any more as the growth of trees has greatly reduced how much sun it gets.

I buried it as fertilizer and because I could not flush it. Plus it was pretty fat and, if not eaten, would have smelled for a while. But I really did not have the heart just to throw it away, so I had to bury it. After all, it was the longest kept of any of my current stock. My best guess is the next longest is since Apr. 06. (18+ years) and he is now in his early 20s. But he is easily flushable when he goes.

A grim discussion, I know. But something I have thought about since my little Buddy has passed. He was my friend during the pandemic and passed away in January. Since it was winter and I'm from Ontario, I sealed him up and put him in the freezer until the snow melted. Once it did I dug a hole and buried him. And I think I will do the same for any of my other fish.

My way of thinking is my fish are still family, just like a dog or cat would be. I wouldn't throw my dog in the trash after they pass, so why would I do that to my fish? Just because they're dead does not mean I can treat them like garbage. I can still treat them with respect and give them a burial.

Am I silly for thinking this way?
Sentiments aside, this is the best way to dispose of a dead fish. It is far more preferable than flushing. Burial away from any water source reduces risks of environmental issues or damage to the plumbing system. As others have said, it is also a good fertiliser for plants.

Flushing is unhygienic for you and any other residents. If you don't sterilise any place the fish may have touched it could lead to issues.
Many places do not have septic or public sewer systems that can handle these things. You should not be flushing anything besides your own waste and toilet paper.
It can damage your pipes, or the waste management system. If the fish gets stuck it could cause an infestation or even a blockage depending on the size of the fish and your plumbing.
It can cost you money. If any issue was to arise and the water/sewage/ insurance companies found out it was due to the flushing of a fish, you will be held responsible and have to pay to fix the issue.
The fish may not be dead, despite appearances, and could get all the way into the local river or stream. This has happened before and since they are not native it can cause an issue for local wildlife and habitats.

Source: Funeral Companion 2023

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back