Do shrimps eat snail eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

The ramshorn snails have apparantly left some kind of spawn? I was juster concerned will shrimp eat this or are they safe?

Also does anyone know anything about the rate at which snails grow? Lets say I have 50 snails in small environment, how many baby snails a month would they produce?

Thanks in advance,

Some shrimp will pick at snail eggs but Ramshorn snails breed prolifically and you should encourage the shrimp to eat the eggs and baby snails. :)

A pair of unrelated adult Ramshorn snails can produce a cluster of eggs every couple of days. Each jelly egg cluster can container 20+ eggs. If you have 50 adult snails and they are well fed and in good water, they will produce hundreds or even thousands of eggs every week.

Well that sounds interesting because I have noticed only a couple of clusters, in the aquarium that was setup about 6 weeks ago, however, I had a bottle aquarium going since November and that has live ramshorn snails in it, however, it is not totally packed out with snails as the above prediction would have suggested. Why would it not be packed full of snails then? Is it possible the snails don't appreciate the fertilised/pesticide treated elodea densa plants in there, the type that killed my shrimp before? Or the soil which was from fertilised compost? It hasnt killed them, they just haven't bred in the manner predicted above. Thanks.

Sadly, they don’t eat pond snail eggs. :(

Last edited:
Why would it not be packed full of snails then?
Lack of food or poor water quality. If you are breeding them for pufferfish food, make sure you feed them each day and have lots of light to encourage algae to grow on the glass. The snails will eat the food and algae.

Snails that are related will produce fewer eggs. If you get snails from a different supplier, they will probably be unrelated and you get healthier babies and more of them.

ok now in my aquarium having added about 50 ramshorn snails a few weeks ago there are loads of baby ones, i am now wondering if i buy a sniper snail at what rate would it consume the baby snails and if it would want to escape out of the water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back