Do Shrimp Eat Fish Eggs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

karawr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so I've tried to google this but I get answers saying both yes and no.

In your experience (or opinion), do shrimp eat fish eggs or fry? Specifically cory eggs, but I don't think that matters.

I want to put a couple in a 20 long with corydoras habrosus, whom I like to breed but want to make sure the eggs are safe. And if you think they're safe, then maybe put some in a fry tank to help with cleanup.

Dwarf shrimp will not eat the eggs IME unless the eggs are already bad. I also have a tank full of amano shrimp and whenever my fish spawn the shrimp are nowhere near the eggs. I have heard that if you want to prevent fish eggs from getting fungus on them, you can put them in a tank with neocaridina heteropoda(cherry shrimp as example) that they will clean the eggs and prevent fungus. I really don't know if this is true or not. I have personally never seen any of my shrimp eat eggs.

Yes, I wanted to get cherry shrimp as I heard they will turn over the eggs and eat off the bad ones. Very handy, imo. But I also heard that they will eat the eggs. :shout:

Glad to hear you've had good experience. I'll wait to hear some other experiences as well... maybe some eat, some don't? :unsure:

Yes, I wanted to get cherry shrimp as I heard they will turn over the eggs and eat off the bad ones. Very handy, imo. But I also heard that they will eat the eggs. :shout:

Glad to hear you've had good experience. I'll wait to hear some other experiences as well... maybe some eat, some don't? :unsure:

Maybe it depends on how the eggs are prepared? :drool: Hard boiled, poached, sunny side up.... :hey:

Maybe it depends on how the eggs are prepared? :drool: Hard boiled, poached, sunny side up.... :hey:
Mmm... poached with some hollandaise sauce. :drool:

Bump? :unsure:

I'm thinking of getting a couple of RCS... I mostly hear they're good for cleaning off the eggs and picking off unfertilized/fungus eggs. I've read of a few that are actually eating the eggs, we'll see...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back