Do Peaceful Bettas Like To Be In A Pair?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bugdozer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Could I keep a male and female together as a pair, or do they get snippy with each other like the Splendens does? The name would suggest otherwise, but if we went by names then the German Blue Ram would be a star attraction at the Berlin Sheep Festival...

if you mean betta imbellis then yeah a pair is fine. they are quite happiy in groups as well

Betta imbellis are best kept in small breeding groups, not as individuals as we do with splendens. They are not splendens and anything you have learned about splendens is basically going to be wrong for any of the wild type bettas.

Betta imbellis are best kept in small breeding groups, not as individuals as we do with splendens. They are not splendens and anything you have learned about splendens is basically going to be wrong for any of the wild type bettas.
Well, I was soooo bored and decided to read some old threads and came across this. Betta imbellis actually are splendens, just not the domestic splendens we see in the pet stores. There are wild splendens like imbellis, stiktos, smaragdina, mahachaiensis and I'm pretty sure I am forgetting some of them. Splendens are (imo) the most aggressive amongst other wilds, but usually keeping them in pairs will be ok.
(I know this is old, but I was really bored :rofl: )

B
Well, I was soooo bored and decided to read some old threads and came across this. Betta imbellis actually are splendens, just not the domestic splendens we see in the pet stores. There are wild splendens like imbellis, stiktos, smaragdina, mahachaiensis and I'm pretty sure I am forgetting some of them. Splendens are (imo) the most aggressive amongst other wilds, but usually keeping them in pairs will be ok.
(I know this is old, but I was really bored :rofl: )

Betta splendens is a different species from imbellis and the others you listed. I've kept both imbellis, and splendens caught in Laos by a friend. Quite different beasts. I've also had smaragdina, and watched mahachiensis at a betta breeding friend's house many times.
Even if you disagree with the species divisions, a look at a scientific site like Fishbase.org will show you which currently considered to be valid species, and which aren't.

My wild splendens were not aggressive, although a male and female together would call for a larger tank then you might expect (a well planted 36 inch/1 metre tank would be my choice if there's a next time). The hyper aggression some show seems to be bred into them. They dislike each other and in a tiny jar, would fight. But under normal circumstance, they're relaxed enough. Mine bred, and fry grew up and later bred in the same tank.

Here's my experience with imbellis--with some hard-earned wisdom. Yes, they are less aggressive than splendens. But they aren't what I'd call peaceful, either.

In my 36" x 9" 12g long, I've kept a breeding pair. The male picked on the female, but they did breed successfully. Eventually he hounded her to death.

Then I had three males (the aforementioned male and two male offspring). They got along splendidly until, quite suddenly, the two smaller ones ganged up on the larger and hounded him to death. Then one of the offspring turned on his brother and started in on him. Having learned some hard lessons from the previous two losses, I rehomed the subordinate male before he was too far gone.

That left me with one male alone. He failed to thrive by himself, and was dead within a couple weeks.

All of this was in a densely planted, well-scaped tank with almost infinite broken sight-lines and places to hide.

Moral of the story: Don't be fooled into thinking that imbellis are an easy species to keep. Personally, I wouldn't try keeping a group in anything smaller than a 20 long. If you do try keeping a pair in a 10 gallon tank, make sure you have a rehoming plan, because they're probably going to turn on each other at some point.

That said, wild-type imbellis are one of the most strikingly beautiful fish I've ever kept, so I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from trying them. In my experience, they're a bit like angel fish: They seem to do best with company, but they need plenty of space to get away from each other.

B

Betta splendens
is a different species from imbellis and the others you listed. I've kept both imbellis, and splendens caught in Laos by a friend. Quite different beasts. I've also had smaragdina, and watched mahachiensis at a betta breeding friend's house many times.
Even if you disagree with the species divisions, a look at a scientific site like Fishbase.org will show you which currently considered to be valid species, and which aren't.

My wild splendens were not aggressive, although a male and female together would call for a larger tank then you might expect (a well planted 36 inch/1 metre tank would be my choice if there's a next time). The hyper aggression some show seems to be bred into them. They dislike each other and in a tiny jar, would fight. But under normal circumstance, they're relaxed enough. Mine bred, and fry grew up and later bred in the same tank.
The ones I listed are in the splenden complex. Atleast they are, according to the IBC. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back